Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #88
ArrrV

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
I've stayed out of this, but it's time to chime in

Because of my DH's disability, we have taken our Cricket and his self folding electric scooter with us around the country. We have been only stopped once (in the Keys) when an officer wanted to know what my "golf cart" was doing on his sidewalk. I think calm and understanding goes a long way to helping end misconceptions. First, the Cricket is NOT a golf cart. Like other Personal Mobility Devices, the Cricket has no brake pedal. That is a critical distinction for Personal Mobility Devices--pushing a lever, handle, or pedal makes it go, releasing makes it stop (sometimes abruptly). The Cricket's maximum speed going downhill empty is 10mph--my DH's electric scooter goes faster than that (as do manual and electric bikes which pass us with regularity). Because the Cricket was designed to look like a golf cart (though it is only as wide as a double stroller) it may be mistaken for one, but a calm and respectful interaction provides the opportunity to point out the differences. But over all, common sense should rule-- use sidewalks if they are present. Don't use on crowded sidewalks or streets (that's why we also have our scooter which folds itself up with the press of a button), and practice speed control.

We don't use on non-paved/graveled, or otherwise handicap accessible "trails/pathways". So no, it did not go below the rim of the Grand Canyon, though it did do the Rim Walk!
Over the years our Cricket has been a conversation starter and allows us to share our story about the ways these devices bring independence and support a more abled lifestyle, all within a framework of humor (it's going to be a John Deere when it grows up) and compassion.

Our Cricket has been used in National and State Parks, towns, and campgrounds all over the United States. We use caution, ask permission even when legally no permission is necessary, and have had a great time exploring our country. I'm sorry you had issues when in Virginia, and am hoping that it only reflects a few overtired, overworked park employees who just didn't understand the Cricket and the requirements for accommodation. I would suggest that you consider bringing a scooter along with you to use when the Cricket is not a good option (like going up and down the aisles at WalMart!) on your future camping trips.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum