Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 03:36 AM   #45
gwensdad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #5553
To dolly or not, should not be the first decision

No one has yet mentioned that you must consult your car dealer or owner's manual to determine whether your vehicle can be safely towed flat, before you decide on a dolly (or trailer) or a tow bar. I tow a Kia Sportage on a Kar Kaddy II behind my Hurricane, because towing the Kia flat would damage the transmission. The Kar Kaddy, while higher end, has electronic brakes, and the tongue folds to facilitate storage. I did replace the as-delivered single wheel jack with a dual wheel jack. This makes it much easier to move over gravel or rough ground. It is next to impossible to back, because the dolly wheels "steer" a little. Even if I have to leave it in a storage lot, I simply fold the tongue in and secure it with a 1/2 inch cable and Master Lock, the shackle for which cannot be accessed by bolt cutters. Most places it folds small enough to go under the back of the rig, in which case I also thread the cable through the safety chain slot on the rig hitch.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum