Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #16
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Bob kinda defined our situation, but not entirely, when he mentioned coffee.

My entire inverter install is SOLELY to not torment people parked near us with our generator. Yup, we spent a stupid amount of money on the xantrex ws3012 and installation and the soon to come batteries to match were for spousal units coffee and a microwave breakfast, all so as to not be a 10 minute slight potential of a pain in a strangers ass when camped at a place where we'll never meet or even see exampled stranger while there, or ever again.

My stupidly expensive inverter is exactly the same as the money spent on solar except I'll idle that v10 for decades instead of installing solar.
I will eventually get a solar panel or two as I believe' one is none' and if I ever have to store for a prolonged period away from shore power, I'd be a fool to not have a right sized solar backup. I have small panels on the trucks and tractor and even my trailers for the winch batteries. I have a 150w system on the greenhouse because I bought it with a huge new battery included for fifty bucks at a yard sale.
Hell, I might even go completely stark raving rv solar if I get panels dirt dirt cheap. I'm open minded and I already have the stupidly expensive inverter. I passed on used 100w panels last year for 100 bucks each.

I used to have a huge 800w solar array on a tiny trailer. I didn't pay for it, the loss was the trailers previous owner. It had a ws3012 with solar and controllers of the utmost expense. I paid for the 2 year old toy hauler with the solar, for about half of book value and got the Solar for free. We LOVED it. We never turned on the generator except to excercise it. It ran the microwave and coffee pot at the same time any time we wanted it.

I am in no way against solar.
I am aware of how I have a deep animus for bandwagoneers.
I believe 80 percent of rv solar is a 'me too' thing.
If you have to find forced situations to use your solar... Guess what.

The 80 percent will adamantly deny.

This has been a LOT of words to clarify a stance of:
RV Solar adds value as a tirtiary system but has no added value as the added toy it is to most who've added it.

Punchline:
The cool kids don't dictate. Your needs dictate.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum