Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #51
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Because our van is small, we stay in rest areas sometimes just to sleep and rest a few hours, parking along cars and away from idling trucks and RVs running generators. When driving late I don’t like wondering off main highways to find a campground, particularly if I didn’t make a reservation and there may not even be open sites.

It’s not about the cost either, because we’ll often end up in a hotel for the night which usually cost much more than campgrounds.

I’d like the future option to check online and see a “private rest area” (for lack of a better name) where I could reserve a spot before getting there at any time of night. If they offered electric and water that’s even better. A dump station is a must. The idea of staying at a Walmart or Cracker Barrel doesn’t appeal to us.

If these kinds of overnight places became common, it could also influence the way some RVs are built. For people who tour and or travel to far destinations, instead of boondock in the wild (which is most of us), it would not only make solar unnecessary, but also generators and large holding tanks.

There are places like these to overnight, but not enough of them, and none I’ve seen were privately owned. I agree with the investor that pulling into an RV Resort miles from the highway at 10 PM to leave at 8 AM makes little sense when just passing through.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum