Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #37
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If I remember my History: Chance was trying to get rid of generators last year, and turn all of us onto lithium based power systems.
Now: he's trying to get rid of propane.
Pretty soon: we'll all be in tents again!

NOTE: this isn't meant as a personal attack. I can appreciate his "outside the box" thinking.
It's just an observation...

That’s funny, but no, it’s not outside the box thinking — it’s already here in different formats from various manufacturers.

I enjoy discussing technical issues that I anticipate happening in near future because it’s fun, not because I want to convince others on what’s best for them. When possible I prefer to discuss technical issues objectively (data and fact based), and others can then decide if it will work for their needs or not. Granted, a lot about camping is extremely subjective, which is why I requested opinions on propane. I don’t want to guide a friend in wrong direction just because my personal preferences may be unusual. And apparently they are.

I’ve been camping for over a decade mostly in a van that’s barely more than a “steel tent” because that’s my preference. When I need more features and or function I rent as needed and then return to the simple van by choice. It’s all electric (no propane) and until recently we didn’t own a generator. When traveling from campground to campground, an all-electric camper met our needs nicely. For more recent boondocking a portable generator powers our air conditioner.

If I had enough battery capacity to power my A/C overnight, I wouldn’t haul my portable generator around at all. If I built my own van in the future it would have that capability for certain. With 7 or 8 kWh of useable battery capacity, I wouldn't need or want a generator or propane. I’ve already traveled and camped that way and it works for our needs, so I don’t want much more than a larger battery bank and larger inverter.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum