Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 12:00 AM   #1
JGallagher

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
Chateau roof repair

The 2017 Chateau 23U had only 2700 miles on it when we purchased it in January, but based on what I found today, the previous owner must have stored it on the bottom of a lake! I was on a ladder today cleaning the cab and found a soft spot in the corner where the cab meets the roof.
Not being able to leave well enough alone, I started to explore the roof junction that Camping World had so helpfully covered in mounds of Dicor.
What happened is the screws have rusted and the trim strip had lifted up. So far, I don't see any evidence of damage to the roof. However, every screw of the 10 that I have uncovered and removed has been rotted/rusted out.
Fortunately, there are no signs of water intrusion in the interior ceiling.

At this point, I will remove the trim strip and look to replace the screws with stainless steel.
However, I do not know how long the screws should be. Any help is appreciated. I do not want to purchase screws so long that they will penetrate the ceiling!

I'll seal the trim strip with Dicor unless others with more experience suggest otherwise.
Thank you.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2482.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	23568  
Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum