Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #29
jaypatrick

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #2138
2016 Vegas 24.1 cracked windshield

We're now on our second cracked windshield. The first time it cracked was shortly after the unit was purchased new at a CW dealer. We were on the road and happened to be close to Elkhart, IN and scheduled repair of that and some other items. The glass didn't get replaced until we got home later, but Thor looked at the windshield issue while we were in Elkhart.

The tech at Thor who worked on our unit said that the crack appeared to stem from a screw end, inside the windshield frame that was touching / rubbing the glass, and that over time it seemed that was the probable cause of the failure. He said that the repair made should solve any future problems.

Now, four years later it's happened again. I just got off the phone with a Thor customer service rep who refused to bring it to Thor's attention, stating that since the first repair was 4 years ago .. they wouldn't do anything this time. My argument is that this is a defect in manufacture or design, and not caused by 'normal wear and tear', owner neglect or road hazard issues. To no avail, the rep said take it to my insurance company. The rep I spoke to today did say that at some point in time (he was not able to tell me when) the manufacturer, Guardian came out with a redesigned glass that was supposed to be more sturdy and that Thor began installing those in, I assume the early windshield designs like mine that have failed. I'll be calling them with the glass ID to see if my second windshield is one of those redesigned models.

Interesting to note that Thor reacted to this design flaw and changed the glass in 2017, using a shorter windshield with a much less severe bend in the glass near the top.

So, moral of this story - beware of the design that looks like the 2016 windshield pictured in the comparison photo .. as you will most likely be in the same boat as me.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum