Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Gray water odor
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #20
hikerjohn7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12281
Gray Water Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGallagher View Post
Good Morning,

While showering, a horrible odor filled the rv. We were level, weather and wind was calm and the gray water tank was approximately 1/2 full.
The shower drain seemed to be working fine and the sinks also drain well.
I had the fan running in the bathroom.

Once we drove away, the smell dissipated and did not reappear but man, did the gray water stink when I dumped!

So, the question is: Is this a "one time" event or a sign of things to come?

I'm not sure how to check to see if the vent pipe is correctly connected or possibly blocked, so I would appreciate some guidance if you think that could be an issue.

Thank you.
A similar incident happened with our Class A when we took a walk on a warm day and I did not have the AC on. When we came back it was warm in the RV and it smelled terrible. We ran water down the kitchen sink and I poured gray water odor treatment down the drain and the smell went away and has not come back.

And once I drained a small amount of gray water into my yard when I had the RV at home and, you are right, it smelled as bad as black water.

What I do these days is try to limit as much as possible allowing food scraps and sauces from cooking to go down the kitchen sink drain. We carefully scrape all the scraps into the garbage and when I end up with a platter of cooking juices to throw out, I walk outside to the faucet and rinse the platter juices into the ground. Then we wash the platter.

I also regularly use gray water odor treatments (various types) particularly when I store the RV.

Something else I do, and you might do this too, is that... on the last day at a park, I close the gray water valve for the last one or two showers so that it builds up a volume of warm, soap water in the gray water tank. I use this water to flush out the swage line after I drain and flush the black water tank. I think this practice also helps clean out any food left in the gray water tank.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum