Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
Wiley1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Yes, you must have brakes. From the Virginia code:
"Every semitrailer, trailer, or separate vehicle attached by a drawbar, chain, or coupling to a towing vehicle other than a farm tractor or a vehicle not required to obtain a registration certificate and having an actual gross weight of 3,000 pounds or more, shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle, which shall conform to the specifications set forth in § 46.2-1067 and shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent."
For tow dolly it is the combination of dolly and car that make up the gross weight.
So, if I could find a tow dolly that weighs under 250 pounds, and a car that weighs under 2750 pounds, then I wouldn't need brakes? Heck, right now, I'm over by less than 250 pounds.

I find it ridiculous that the tow vehicle is not considered in that equation.

If I'm towing that combo with a Honda CRV, I would darned certainly need dolly brakes. But, I'm thinking about using my E450 which can stop my little Civic like it isn't even there.

But, nobody ever accused the state gov'ment of being logical or smart or fair.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum