Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: license renewal
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #56
danl61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I have a rarely-used auto that needed emissions testing done yearly in my residence state of Illinois (before I moved to Tennessee), where it was registered. I stored the vehicle in Tennessee, at our 2nd home, though, and didn't see any sense of driving it 10 hours just to get tested. In Illinois, you needed to pass the emissions test in order to be allowed to register and get plates. I applied for an extension/exemption from testing, due to the car being in storage, out of state, and was still able to plate the vehicle. All that was needed was some sort of documentation showing where the vehicle was stored. I was able to do this for two years before the state no longer granted the extensions... but I was ready to change my residency by then. Perhaps you can do something similar with your stored camper...?

Not sure why you would even need to do this. When we moved from MI our vehicles needed the emission testing, whereas the county we moved to does not have that requirement. My wife's car registration (from MI) was about to expire so she titled and registered it in TN, while having a MI drivers license. The documents needed for this is minimal and can be done almost immediately upon arrival. Not only that, but the plate/registration for my vehicle was almost $200.00 in MI while TN was less then $60.00 at that time. As far as the address we used, it was a RV park I spent 2 months with electric bill in our name. That bill and a statement from a local bank was all she needed to register/title her vehicle.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum