Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #13
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
reading this, I think this is my problem as well!
I am getting this clicking noise, same area. happening all the time, connected to shore or not, all the time. wakes me up at night, lights flashing, radio light on for 10 minutes. cycles about every 35 minutes. I disconnected the wires on the (BIRD?), mine looks different than pict above, and clicking stops. what ever it is, its draining my engine battery. or something is and this relay is engaging the house batteries to charge engine battery???
thanks for all the info, I had no idea what the thing is, now I have something to go on. I like this forum, thanks for everyones participation and support.
What year Vegas do you have? Thor has switched from BIRD/Trombetta to BCC (Battery Control Center to BIM (Battery Isolation Manager), so to start you have to know which you have. The house batteries should not engage to charge the chassis battery. The systems are designed to only operate when the engine is running or on shore power Or generator. That being said, it could be malfunctioning. If you disconnected “it” and that solves your issue, then you probably have isolated your problem. You could have a short in the BIRD that is engaging the trombetta and that is the clicking sound you hear. Replacing the BiRD (Trombettas seldom go bad - but they do) or the BIM is a lot cheaper than taking it to a mechanic at $125 per hour. Before I did that, I would reconnect to see if the system is working both ways. I.E. the engine alternator is charging the house batteries and the generator is charging the chassis battery.
Careful. There is a lot of energy coming out of the batteries thru the trombetta. Grounding one of the trombetta posts to the frame can melt medal and give you a serious burn.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum