Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 05:55 PM   #2
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have had my new Axis 24.1 for a bit more than a month but we haven't camped any where yet. I do have some answers to your questions based on my experience/knowledge of the 24.1:

Chassis alternator charging

Yes despite what the dealer told you the coach batteries will be charged by the chassis alternator while driving. There is a Precision Circuits BIM 160 that connects or disconnects the coach battery from the chassis alternator based on voltage. When the chassis alternator is putting out 13.5 or so volts and the coach batteries have dropped to about 12.5 volts they connect and charge the coach batteries.

Compressor Fridge

The refrigerator is a whole story in itself. I got a propane fridge but I had to weasel it from the dealer. Apparently sometime in late December/early January Thor started delivering compressor fridges which are DC powered only. I don't know if it was due to a supplier issue or Thor just did it. Most MHs are switching to DC fridges.

Batteries Discharging Overnight

Assuming you were running the fridge that is why the batteries were discharged overnight. The Axis comes with two Group 24 or 27 batteries of about 160 amp hours total. The fridge will draw about 75 amp hours daily. The parasitic loads (those that can't be turned off except by turning off the battery switch) draws about 20 amp hours daily. In addition you have your discretionary loads like lights, water pump, device charging, slides, awning etc. These can draw from 15 amp hours upwards each day. So it is not surprising that your batteries were dead overnight.

The only solution particularly for dry camping without hookups is Li batteries and more solar. You can replace the two existing FLA batteries with two Group 31 Lithiums that will fit underneath the steps. If you want more and you may need it you will have to install two more in the adjacent compartment. I would definitely want four Li batteries with a compressor fridge.

With four 100 Ah lithum batteries you probably want to upgrade your converter and increase the wire size to a Progressive Dynamics 9180AL to charge faster. You may also need to limit current from the chassis alternator. An upgrade to the Precision Circuits BIM L 225 may help.

Adding more solar panels

Your coach was probably prewired for solar or it came with one or more panels. Mine came with one. You probably need at least 400 watts of panels to cover the loads during mostly sunny days. If it is cloudy for a while you will have to run the generator to keep them up or drive to another campsite so the chassis alternator will recharge them.

To add 3 or 4 panels, wire them in series parallel to minimize the voltage drop. Replace the crappy Go Power !0A controller with a 30A Renogy, Victron, or Epever MPPT controller and upgrade the wire size from the controller to the batteries to 6 gauge from the existing 10 gauge.

Doing all of that won't be cheap, at least $8,000 for a professional installation or maybe half of that for four Lithiums and 400 watts of panels if you DIY. But that should give you decent dry camping time. As you can tell an absorption fridge is much preferred for dry campers.

Can your replace the compressor with an absorption fridge

Maybe. First you will have to check dimensions to see if you can get the old one out and the new one in through the door. Then you will have to cut a vent in the side and put a vent on the top and hook it up to the propane system. Several thousand for professional swap out.

Ride

I am a little surprised that you found the ride rough but you have the E450 chassis and mine is based on the E350 one. Lots of aftermarket suspension upgrades available but most deal with sway and wandering, not rough ride. Maybe upgraded Bilstein shocks will help.

Sinks Draining to Black

This somewhat is dependent on the coach layout but many do this to keep from filling the grey water tank too fast. The black never gets full on my RVs, always the grey first

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum