Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
brucev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
My wife and I have been looking for over a year for a new(er) Class A gasser to replace our 1998 Itasca Sunflyer. We have looked at lots of different models and brands, been to lots of RV shows, talked to lots of dealers and have come away with a general floor plan that we like and a list of must haves. We recently looked at a 2016 Hurricane 35C that meets all of the requirements on our list.

With that said, we wanted to see if there were any owners out there who would recommend it and if there are any tips to owning one, as well as any owners who have some negative experiences to share. Typically we always see the negatives online and far fewer positive stories, but figured the one way to know is to ask.

So... let us hear from you. What about the build quality? Any improvements over the 2015's or 2014's? Any gotchas to have checked right away? Any aftermarket mods that you have done?

Thanks in advance!

We bought a 2015 Hurricane 27k last August. We have had our share of problems but after the issues are taken care of we will be very happy. The biggest problem is the dealer and not Thor. That said, I understand Thor had a rush of orders as the economy improved and had some quality related problems. All of my complaints so far have been minor and when I had the need to contact Thor customer service they were fantastic to work with.

Some of my problems were due to poor training by the dealer. For instance, we got the front bed stuck when we only partially lowered the bed based on instructions by the dealer. Guess what? Thor recommends fully raising and lowering the bed each time, just like the slides and the Lippert manual gives detailed instructions how to reset the lifting mechanism.

We had trouble with the Harris house batteries that created many frustrations with the leveling system and slides, but again, that was the dealer. They ruined the stock batteries by not keeping them charged. I replaced them with a set of Interstates and have not had trouble with either system since.

I also didn't like the way it handled so I invested in suspension upgrades but any coach on the F53 chassis will have similar issues. After 6 months ownership, I would have no problem buying another Hurricane, although I would maybe go a little longer so I could have a sofa or recliner!

I think you will do fine with a new Hurricane. You already have a coach so you know what to expect since you are not new to Motor homes as I was.
We regularly tow our jeep wrangler and our Sea Ray 220SD over 600 miles last year without trouble

Hope this helps (and yes I would do it again), good luck and safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum