Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #13
LandKO

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Glad replacement worked out for you, but based on the information you supplied, it doesn’t sound to me that the air conditioner was not performing as expected, or very close to that.

Coleman specs state that 15 to 20 degrees F of cooling between inlet and outlet is normal. If your motorhome is cooling down to 80 F and air out of your vents is in low 60s, that’s within expected 15~20 F performance. Additionally, if you modified the vents to increase air flow, that means air temperature won’t drop as much across the evaporator.

I hope your new A/C will make you comfortable, but in hot weather I don’t expect any 13,500 BTU/hr air conditioner will make a 30-foot motorhome cool. My 24-foot Class C wouldn’t cool under 80 F when hot with a 13,500 A/C, and I doubt your motorhome is insulated all that much better.
Perhaps I was not clear on my original post.
The 80 degree temperature mentioned was at the thermostat mounted on the hallway wall.
The actual differential between intake air at the plenum and the closest vent was only 5 - 8 degrees. Temperature at the vent was in the low 60’s in the morning while the measurement at the intake was about 68 degrees. Later in the day, closest vent temperature was upper 60’s to low 70’s while intake air was mid 70’s. The distance between the closest vent and the intake is less than three feet.
As I measured temperatures at vents further away from the intake, they went higher and the differential less. This is with the compressor running constantly.
With the heat load coming in from the ceiling and walls, the unit was not able to maintain anything lower than 80 degrees at the thermostat.
The new unit has a temperature differential of at least 20 degrees. My hope is that the new unit, plus the 15,000 btu unit I added in the bedroom will maintain a more comfortable overall temperature even in the hottest weather.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum