Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
taylorbob1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Here’s a good bit of info on Tankless Water Heater taken from another thread.
Most of it is probably relevant for your coach.
Thank you “Judge”

“2) Girard Tankless Water Heater:

I have had a Girard GSWH-2 in my last two coaches and we love them. We can take a hot shower for 30 minutes is we want. The key is knowing how to properly use them.

1) Water flow is key. You need 40 - 45 PSI minimum and 55 PSI of pressure is optimal.

2) You need to remove all your strainer / filters at the faucets and clean them of contruction and other debris that limit flow. Most people don't realize how much debris is in the faucet strainer / filters that are restricting flow.

- There is also a strainer / filter at the water inlet on the back of the garage. You need to check that one as well but it may be harder to get to depending on the design of your coach.

3) Only use hot water.... DO NOT MIX cold water. You set the desired tempeature you want and it will keep the water at that temperature. My wife likes 108 and I like 105. We set the temperature, turn on the hot water and take a shower for as long as we want. When she is washing dishes she sets it to 115.

4) Do not run another faucet (or flush the toilet) when using hot water at another faucet. Again, it is all about proper flow. RV's are not like your home that has plenty of pressure to keep flow contstant with multiple faucets in use at the same time.

5) The water flow control on the back of the unit should basically be wide open. However, if camping in colder temps and climates, slowing the flow can help when ground water or tank water temps are very cold. If the flow is too fast, the water does not spend enough time in the heat exchanger to get fully hot.

We have full hook-ups 90% of the time so water usage is not an issue to us. If someone does a lot of dry camping, then a traditional hot water tank heater is more suitable. Otherwise, we have have not had any real complaints with the Girard Tankless.

I also recommend changing faucets from a single control to dual control faucets. The single cartridge in the cheap faucets used in RV's can sometimes leak and allow cold water to mix with the hot water.

I replaced my shower control from a dual to a single so when I turn on the hot, there can only be hot water. I also replaced the bathroom and outdoor kitchen faucets as well to dual controls with a high arch moveable spout.”

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum