Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #16
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You can elect to believe whoever you want to believe. Myself, I’ll believe the Onan Factory Reps that were in Gillette.

As a note I have never used the AGS, have never needed the AGS and with the exception of a bad fuel pump a number of years ago, have not had any generator issues. My current Onan is just under 2 years old with over 300 hours of runtime.
I am gonna actually believe you over the Onan Rep's statement.

If Onan Reps says..." AGS is the biggest killer of generators because the generator is not allowed to warm up long enough before AC and other loads are applied"

And you say..." the ATS not allowing the generator to get up to speed (between 30 seconds and 1 minute) before it switches over to the generator and applies the loads"

My system goes 1 minute before switching power to the Power Control Panel and the Power Control Panel delays 2 more minutes before power is supplied to ACs / Fridge. That means my Genset has run 3 minutes to warm before ANY heavy loads have are applied. So I believe your statement is most accurate in stating what is required to not kill a generator. My AGS System delays 3 to 6 times longer as you state as needed. Maybe the Onan Rep inference that AGS independently can kill and be in fact the biggest killer of generators is a question in my mine At best I could agree with a statement that says if the AGS system was not properly designed / installed with the proper support systems (i.e. ATS, and Power Management Systems) it can damage the generator if it applies heavy loads within 30 seconds of startup.

You use your generator more than I do (2:1); so an AGS does not give you the advantage that the Onan Support Rep alluded to as benefit. But I use my AGS all the time (75% of the time I am using the coach) as a matter of convenience. Note: When I use it, it may not always come on if that make sense. But it is in AUTO or QUIET TIME mode ready to be called if necessary.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum