Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
chunker21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Weighing requirement

This is a shoulda thing. RVIA should require that every RV be weighed by the manufacturer with individual axle weights and have that information provided to a potential customer. Every truck, maybe every vehicle, has a door jamb sticker, Tire and Loading which shows available cargo for that vehicle as it left the factory.

The problem for RVs especially a motorhomes, is there may be a CCC available but in fact it's largely unusable. Why, because while there is available CCC for total capacity, the margin for an axle isn't there. Throw in the fact that front loading capacity is generally very limited, where are you going to put items and remain within GVWR or rear AWR. For a motorhome we already have the yellow door sticker showing available cargo capacity, we have GVWR and GAWR front and rear but since you don't know what the RV weighs for each axle you don't know how much cargo you can really carry.

I suspect that RV manufacturers would fight that proposal tooth and nail because they don't want the uninformed to know there isn't any real or safe way to carry what they show in CCC. Also a standardized loading for an RV at the scales. When I was doing my C shopping, I asked several times what that CCC. was based on? Full fuel, propane, batteries, ??? I got several answers and even the answers supposedly provided by the companies varied. That goes for Thor, Forrest River and Winnebago.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum