Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
10scDust

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
External Sensor Error

I know this is an old post, but I was experiencing the error, and wanted to add my experience of correcting it to maybe help somebody else.

The troubleshooting guide says it is a bad sensor, or a shorted out connection.

After my frustrations trying to solve the error: External Sensor...Push Enter to Clear... then it instantly repeating, ugh!

I replaced the sensor that was only 4 or 5 months old as it was. This time it did not correct the error message.
I tried unplugging and re-plugging it back together, even pushing the wires into the back side on the plug halves. That worked for only one time, then the next time I tried the level system, it re-appeared to my dismay. & I thought I figured it out.

I found this thread and dug a little deeper. Only to find my previous tucking and tying up loose hanging wire harness' still good and no rubbing, fraying, or other signs of shorting out. All was still good.

Still dealing with this issue, I decided to try to reset by holding the "Enter-Retract-Auto level" buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds.
Voilah! This corrected my constantly re-appearing error, at least for now.
I have been checking this periodically at home between trips (last one in September). We are getting ready for the entire last week of October away once more.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do that I may not have tried?
TIA
Hopefully I got it now. Oh, and BTW, I tried the release of the parking brake, that automatically retracted all jacks. This tells me that its sensor is working in the system. Dummy me getting the the allen wrench and drill motor to retract them all earlier this year, had I known to just let the parking break off.

*edit: I always level the rig in the manual mode, that has always worked best for us.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum