Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: No Generator?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 02:13 PM   #26
RACarvalho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweezal View Post
We're about to downsize to (possibly) a 2009 Phoenix Cruiser 2551 (26 footer). It says it is "Generator prepped" which I assume means that it has no generator BUT it does have a 2000W inverter. If we don't anticipate boondocking/Wallydocking, how necessary is a generator? Please keep responses simple and to the point. Thanks.
Strait answer according with our experience is:
No you don't need a generator but probably you will buy one down the road if you get a rig w/o it.

Explaining:

We bought our first MH last year but we have being camping with a camper since 2016.
We also don't do boomdocking but we do overnights at Walmart .
The campers we had before this MH didn't have generator but in 2018 we bought a small generator mainly because during summer the camper would still be hot inside when we stop at Walmart around 10:30pm for overnight so we needed a generator to run the ACs for one hour before sleep.
Another occasion we used the generator was when my parents came with us and dad needed to run the apnea machine all night long.
That was the only occasion the gen. run all night with us.
So if you don't do boomdock and you don't do Walmart Overnight, you should be ok w/o gen. BUT after getting the MH, we noticed that during hot days you need to run the generator while on the road in order to run the ACs or the MH will be hot inside.
I'm not sure if in a smaller rig the engine AC can handle the entire coach but we know in ours it can't.
You could get the Rv w/o genny and buy a cheaper 2000W generator later but in this case you would not be able to run it while on the road if you find the rig gets too hot traveling....
So these are the reasons I would not buy a MH w/o a generator.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum