Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 2" riser
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 02:11 AM   #9
TahoeShark

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3
State: California
THOR #2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
What does 3 axles have to do with pin weight? Are they placing the front axle closer to the pin than mine in the pic above? If I added a third axle it would be behind the existing two. 3 axles are used when the axle weight is getting close to 8K on each of the two. I actually have 17,500# sitting on my two axles and was advised by MorRyde not to add a third axle. We may be upgrading the two axles I have now.
Three axles have a lot to do with pin weight versus twin axles. Toy Haulers even more. You and I have one of the heavier pin weights in the DRV line. Basically 16,000 lbs on the axles and 5,000 lbs on the pin. I know you are heavier than I am. That equals the 21,000 lbs GVWR DRV assigns to the trailer. The triple axle DRV's have a GVWR of either 23,000 or 24,000 lbs. That weight is now supported by three axles and the pin.

When we were at the DRV Rally in Las Vegas they offered weighing of the rigs so we and a lot of other folks took advantage of that. Dual and triple axle DRV's. Without exception the larger duals like ours had the heavier pin weights. Mine came in at 4950 which I have now reduced slightly. The Tripple axles were in the 3500 to 4000 lb range. Now understand that these were not toy haulers but were the Houston class trailers. Now consider the toy hauler, all or most of the cargo weight is behind the rear axle. Guess what that does to the pin weight.

Anyway, even though the GVWR IS HIGHER,on the triples the pin weight will be lower.

Now Retired
TahoeShark is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum