Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #13
knucklehead

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpandt View Post
I am traveling to Maine and plan to spend a few weeks at parked at my sister's and we are having a discussion on what kind of power service would be available. She took some pictures of all of the receptacles nearby and one of them is for a whole house generator that was replaced a few years ago. Its a 30 amp male 4 pin inlet.

She believes that it is still live. I am not there to see how it is connected but I am assuming that it should go to a transfer switch, somewhere in the immediate vicinity of her breaker box.

So my question is this, is it possible/practical/safe to convert the generator inlet to an outlet for the RV? It seems to me that assuming she has enough load capacity that we could have a breaker installed, use the existing run and swap out the inlet for an outlet. I wouldn't take this on myself but hire a licensed electrician.

I am also looking into installing a post for this year and future use, but this is pretty close to where I am parking so I was wondering if it would work.
Not sure why you need 30 amps in your coach for a visit at a home??? Having all that expense and using a contractor to provide power seems like a lot. If it were me, I'd use a 15 or 20 amp circuit to plug into and use an adaptor to my 30 amp power cable and manage my amp usage. Even the AC should work fine if you don't run the water heater, coffee pot, hairdryer and other high amperage devices---But that's just me!!! Hope it works out for you; Bob Trice

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum