Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 01:55 AM   #19
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I don’t possess the time, skill, patience or finances to attempt to run just one AC from a battery system, so that option is off the table for me. Kudos to you who do.

I do have a 1200 watt inverter which can easily run a small fan all night. When we are traveling in an area with 90+ degree daytime temps, gotta run the AC well into the night, maybe all night.

My initial comments require a repeated recalculation as gas prices and campground costs (and availability) vary by location and timing. A COE site with the Senior Natl Park pass at $11 can be great if its not far off the path. At the cost of gas per mile, you can't go far and be saving $$. Of course, saving money isn't always the goal, but often is a deciding factor.

I met a fellow Thor RV owner who just drove through Illinois. He mentioned the high cost of gas there. Some states are planning a month of gas tax, which we be welcome relief for some folks.

When we have stayed at a store or restaurant overnight, others are running their generator too, so we never had to be concerned about disturbing them with ours.
I'm a Florida resident too but we head north in the summer months to see family and then an annual 2 - 3 month RV trip starting in August before returning to Florida. I can concur with the need to run the A/C around the clock when temps are over 80 - 85... especially with high humidity.

We do some summer camping but usually in the northern climates but it still can get as hot as Florida up there at times through August.

We boondocked at my inlaws in western PA for 5 days and temps hit 90+ one day and upper 80's two other days. I ended up burning about 1/8 of a tank of diesel running the genny for battery charging and cooling the coach... or about 8 - 9 gallons. That equates to about $55 at the PA diesel prices of ~$6 - $6.25 gallon.

Two years ago it would have cost under $20 in diesel.......

We're now on our way back to FL for a couple weeks before heading back north again but I can't imagine camping in FL or anywhere in the southern US where the temps are over 90 daily.... and in high humidity.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum