Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #14
sepesce

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Black flies are over in July..you shouldn't see many in August.
Like Swix says: If you have time try to make it up the Keweenaw penninsula; Copper Harbor is really nice.

If you are coming back down I-75 on a Sunday double your time allotment--it gets really busy from all the weekend traffic returning to the Detroit area (you can mitigate that a bit by hopping on US-23 south of Flint(although a lot of the traffic is North of Flint), or even better grabbing US-127 at Clare--almost NO traffic taking US-127 down). Once you get to I-94 its safe to take that East to either US-23, or I-75 into Toledo and pick up I-80. I'd guess, though, that you'd be coming down that way earlier in the week if your desire is to return home to NJ on a Sunday.

Also note: The RV stops in the Ohio turnpike service plaza's are really nice. Most of them are back-in though so if you're pulling a car its easier to hang out with the trucks.

The City of Houghton's RV Park is really nice too:

Thanks for the heads up regarding Michigan traffic, its been a long time since I was in the area. I use to travel a lot to Flint and Detroit in a previous life working for a division of GM . After living in Jersey for 10 years there is very little traffic wise that shocks me anymore and always happy to hear how to avoid it.

I was also happy to hear that the Ohio service plaza's are nice. What is your experience ? I hear some of the plaza's on 80 even have RV electric hookups and you can overnight. Do you know, are they usually crowded or general available ? We were not going to make reservations on the Friday afternoon we leave and are going to try and drive until we get tired. I expect we should be along 80 in Ohio somewhere. We were hoping just to pull into a turnpike plaza (we are not pulling a car) It might be hot, so hook up would be nice. I'm a planner so not knowing exactly where we will be stopping is a little out of my comfort zone. Getting out of my comfort zone occasionally is a good thing!!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum