Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Landing gear
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 01:26 AM   #7
GeorgiaHybrid

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSSA
State: Georgia
THOR #1667
I did the following to make a permanent "backup" to make sure the jacks didn't hit the ground.

Retract the jack fully and drill a 1/8" pilot hole in the outer sleeve (attached to the frame) and in the sleeve around the jack op rod.

Lower the jack and drill a 3/8" hole in the sleeve on the jack op rod.

Retract the jack again and drill the outer sleeve with a letter "F" or 17/64" bit. The bit will not hit the sleeve behind as it has a larger, 3/8" hole.

Tap with a 5/16-18 tap.

Get a couple of 5/16 UNC bolts and nuts about 2" long and thread the nuts on the bolts almost to the head and then thread them thru both sleeves.

Tighten the nut against the sleeve wrench tight and it will not come out and the jack will NOT fall.

We had this issue about 700 miles from home and was so bad we couldn't go more than 3 or 4 miles before stopping to retract the jacks. Took less than an hour to do and I will never have to worry about that issue again.

I WILL have to worry about forgeting the bolts are there though. Old age has crept up and I am like the sign my wife wants me to hang in the trailer:

"I am at that stage in life when my train of thought often leaves the station without me"
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum