Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Some items to consider include the risk you are willing to take - and your level of ability in fixing things yourself...

On my previous rig (2000 Infinity purchased in early 2012) - I got a Good Sam Extended Warranty that I viewed as 'catastrophic coverage' - Limited what it covered and high deductible ($1000) - and I intended to use for a major powertrain issue - but I would take care of most minor things myself... Made it reasonable in price for a rig that age - and gave me the comfort that a major issue wouldn't render the rig useless while I still owed the bank $$$...

On new one (2014 bought used at end of 2014 season) - I did get the extended warranty - Cornerstone - with $150/200 deductible on all but the powertrain (powertrain still under factory warranty and transferred). They have covered little so far (though rig is in shop right now and I expect them to pay here...)
My biggest issues with them:
  • For intermittent issues - if it won't fail for the dealer - they won't fix it... How many times do I need the radio/cameras to fail on the road... but work fine for the dealer... If I didn't have the warranty - I would have replaced it already - but hoping it will fail for them and they will pay for.
  • Unlike the factory warranty - they won't allow you to have parts shipped to you to install/replace. Has to be written up by dealer - subjecting me to their lead times, waiting times, etc... I would prefer in many cases to just do the work myself.
Still can provide piece of mind... Factory powertrain warranty about to expire - so looking at my options going forward...
(In general - aside from the RV - I typically do not get extended warranties... as they rarely pay...)

As Doc said in his quote "Do you feel lucky?"...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum