Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
Greg84

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Thanks for the info Greg. I would plan on doing the install myself, very non professional. Is there something I should do special to prevent the carpet situation like you had.

I do hate to cut the brand new carpet, but I know it will have to be done.

Also did you do the install your self or did you have someone there to help you. I watch an install video and it looked like four hand would be better than two.

Jerry
Jerry,

I did most of the install myself...I grabbed my son when I needed an extra pair of hands. With regards to the carpet and after the issue I had, I used dark duct tape to line the edges where I cut the carpet. This takes care of any errant carpet strands that may get pulled sheath. Trim off any strands that are still poking out from under the tape. I also used double sided carpet tape around the carpet hole to ensure the carpet would not move and become misaligned with firewall hole. Not much of an issue with the breakaway cable as there is no sheath on that cable. Where the cable goes through the firewall and carpet is fairly high. I doubt you will even notice it once you complete the install.

I also did a mod on the brake pedal that lets me remove the cable and tuck it under the carpet when I'm not towing the Rubicon. It's out on the web somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

As I mentioned above I used the Cooltech JK harness. JK Tow Harness Deluxe Kit - CoolTechLLC I ran it inside the frame, somewhat of a pain, but not too bad. I used a coat hanger to help pull it though the frame. I wanted it inside the frame to help protect the wiring.

A couple of final points. First: Make the final adjustments to the cable with the towbar locked out and check everything after you tow it a couple of miles.

Second: Develop a checklist and use it religiously every time you hook up. My wife calls out the checklist and I physically check everything on the list. We'd rather be safe than sorry and it only takes a minute to run through the list.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum