Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
HarryT

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Siesta 24SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #762
Yesterday, I got to work on the problem. I crawled around under the coach trying to trace the wires and gave that up. I went inside and opened the slide, took out the drawers and removed the cover from the ATS again. I figured out which were the wires going to the coach, which were the shore cord and which were the genny. As I already knew the power was going through from the shore cord to the coach. I unplugged the shore power and started the genny. Thankfully there was power coming from the genny so that eliminated a problem with it that could have been expensive. I shut off the genny and plugged the shore power back in. I have a volt gauge that shows normal / reverse and open ground. All was normal with the gauge showing 117. I then cranked up the genny and nothing changed for about 1 minute, then the ATS made a noise and the meter jumped up to 121 meaning the ATS had switched. Now the system is working as designed again.
I have no idea what happened. I wonder if the system being on low weak voltage at my friends house caused a problem with the system when the air tried to kick on when I shut down the genny after arrival and popped his breaker. I shut off the air and reset his breaker. The next morning the coach got uncomfortably hot, so I started the genny and it did not switch. That was how it stayed, even after many tries until yesterday when it decided to work again while I was testing the circuits. I hope it continues to work.
By the way, I started the engine and turned the dash air on full and it cooled the whole interior of the coach so that we could comfortably get ready for a wedding we were going to. We ran the engine on and off for a few hours over the weekend when we needed to cool the coach. Apparently the Mercedes diesel only sips fuel at an idle as it only brought our mileage for this tank down to 13.74 MPG from our 3 year average of 14.64. Moral is if your genny or AC quit working, the engine and dash air will keep you comfortable when dry camping.
Thanks for all your help and moral support;
Harry

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum