Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Mileage
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #29
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just returned from our latest (and last for the year) trip. Blasting 75 mph (or more) down the highway with the generator going for 200 miles yields a paltry 8.5 mpg from our Axis.
That's also pretty good considering your speed.

Just for the fun of it, I did a little reverse engineering to see what the difference in speed would do if you slowed to 60 MPH (80% of 75 MPH), making some reasonable educated assumptions, and it turns out that slowing from a steady 75 to 60 MPH could bump your fuel economy to around 12 MPG -- provided engine efficiency remained the same. Unfortunately it won't because the V10 is too large to be efficient in an Axis creeping along at a steady 60 MPH.

At lower vehicle speeds, required engine power to simply hold speed (on level roads without wind) drops off so quickly that an Axis at 60 MPH would only need about 60% of the power that it requires at 75 MPH, which means the engine would have to be downsized to around 4.0 liters (versus present 6.8L).

I'm just glad there is still lots of room for improvement. And it wouldn't bother me much to drive slower as long as I didn't get run over.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum