Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #17
Yosemitebob

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I'd check to make sure the alternator doesn't overheat if asked to work at full capacity for hours. I'm not sure how these alternators are rated (duty cycle). I'd also check to make sure alternator-to-house controls don't short-cycle.
I have the BIRD, it controls this, I also have two alternators one at 220a and the other at 175a in the engine compartment. There is no bad effect on them. I've had 4 6v for over a year in this MH and 5 years in a 5th wheel the same version.

BIRD:
Intellitec’s Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay ( BIRD )offers a new approach to charging batteries in an RV application. Unlike prior systems that only allowed charging the RV battery from the engine’s alternator, the Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay charges both batteries when either one is being charged. When the coach is being driven, both batteries will be charged from the engine’s alternator. When the coach is plugged into shore power, both batteries will be charged from the converter. If neither battery is being charged, the batteries are fully isolated. The controller also senses heavy loads on either battery to prevent the wrong battery from being inadvertently discharged.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum