Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I was surprised you cannot dolly tow it. That double-sucks.

I do know that some sports cars cannot be dolly towed, but it is due to clearance issues with the pavement as they are pretty low to the ground. Perhaps that is the issue with the Focus.

But I saw a Miata dolly towed backwards on a motorhome once (it is a RWD). I guess they weren't too worried about ground clearance.

Man, I am surprised by the weight. I suppose all those batteries do weigh a bit.

Before we decided on a toad, we also thought of the rental car approach. In fact, we might still use that option in certain circumstances. I can see that we may not always take the toad with us.

For example, if we are going to Florida for a month, especially if we stay in one location then yea, we will take the toad.

But if we are on the go, day after day to a different location - which is one area a motorhome has an advantage - then we may forego the toad, and if we get into a situation whereby we need a car - we can always rent one... maybe.

We wanted to visit a place last summer about 25 miles from the campground, and went to try and rent a car. Unfortunately, we were in a fairly small town, and the car rental place was closed on weekends.

Who has an auto rental operation closed on Saturdays?

But with enough planning, we could have rented on a Friday I suppose - but our desire to rent a vehicle more or less was a last minute thing on a Saturday.

Also, before opting on a toad, we looked at bikes - everything from a scooter to a CanAm type. I was highly interested in a CanAm, but then saw the $20K+ price tag for a new one (you can get a used one a lot cheaper though).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum