Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #32
MrSpecialtyScott

State: California
THOR #7557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

I don't doubt the system works as you've stated, but that in itself doesn't make it right, or advantageous for customers. Final owner shouldn't be placed between the manufacturer and dealer. There has to be a better way.

I completely agree. I am not sure if there is anything we mere common folk can do about it though, other than to not buy new from a dealer.

It would be great if a MH manufacturer only sold direct (Like Acme Tow Dollies). If and when an issue arises you call the manufacturer directly and they either equip you with troubleshooting, or refer you to an approved repair facility.

That way they are standing by the product and can track any trends in complaints, QC issues, etc.

I personally would feel more comfortable buying factory direct and not having to go through the dealer.

I was talking with a retired RV Dealership owner the other day and he said that he would only buy used. He said new will almost always have QC issues due to the fact that at the manufacturers facilities you have a general technician installing electrical components (not an electrician) and you have that same general technician doing plumbing, etc, etc...and very seldom does that General technician own a motorhome, let alone the very motorhome that they are responsible for putting together. So without expertise in what they are putting together, or end user knowledge of how their quality/attention to detail, or lack thereof impacts the end user, the quality that you are going to get is spotty at best.

When most homes are built a plumber installs the plumbing, an electrician does the electrical, and a carpenter does the framing, an concrete guy does the foundation, etc. This should be the same way a motorhome is built.

I know some might say that it would be way too expensive to take this same approach with RV's; but I have a friend who is a very good electrician that is struggling to find work. I imagine he would be more than happy to take that kind of a job.

But until one of the two above happens, we will just need to live with it, or make different buying decisions.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum