Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #9
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
That's the generally-accepted rule of thumb that's often quoted, partly because it's so simple that it always works, but it doesn't take cost into account. If all batteries are the same model, size, age, and rating, then life is simple, right?

So what happens if you had 6 identical batteries and after a year or two one of the batteries fails. Now they would be different ages. And what if exact model is discontinued? Do you replace all six? I certainly wouldn't. It can't be that black and white in my opinion.

By the way, I think your 75 Amp-hour 6-Volt battery ratings are likely a mistake (they would be physically tiny -- like roughly 1/3 the size of the Trojans) but we'll go with that.

Your controller can't see that the 75 Amp-hour batteries are full (unless you have a very sophisticated system I'm not aware of) because the controller only sees the battery bank as a unit. In this case it sees 525 Amp-hours at 12 Volts. As a simple example, think about charging the three strings from an alternator that puts out a constant 14 Volts. Excluding cable resistance, each string will see 14 Volts regardless of what charge current each string accepts. Each string would charge at its own rate based on 14-Volts.

I think the biggest problem with mixing batteries of different types comes in because the internal resistance of each battery string that is wired in parallel (in your case 3 strings with two being the same and one different) is not always the same, or more importantly the resistance is not necessarily in proportion to each string's Amp-hour capacity.

Basically the string with less resistance will receive more current (in this case likely your Trojan batteries) while the Deka will probably get less charge current. But if they get 1/3 as much charge current for 1/3 the Amp-hour, what's wrong with that? I think that's what Tfryman was implying. And it could be correct because the battery resistance should be similar per unit size if the chemistry and basic design is similar.

However, real deep cycle batteries are designed and manufactured differently than starting batteries or dual purpose batteries, which means their internal resistance can be different, even when adjusted for size/capacity.

Bottom line is that the Deka batteries "may" charge at same rate (adjusted for capacity) than the Trojans. Or not. You could always test it to see if there is a significant difference. If there is, I wouldn't use them -- particularly if they are only 75 A-h versus Trojan at 450 A-h.

Again, I question the 75 A-hour rating. If that's all they really are, I wouldn't risk it for such minor additional capacity.

With a multi-voltage converter the problem is obviously a little more complex, but what would remain important to me is whether the 3 strings charge at similar rate or not.

What you are saying is correct except for one thing: "Internal Resistance" really has no bearing on charge rate. Sure, internal resistance does impede both charging and discharging current and creates heat in the battery, but what determines the amps going into a battery is the difference between the source voltage (the charger) and the battery voltage. When the battery voltage increases, charging current will decrease. When charging batteries in parallel, as long as they have the same chemistry they will all have the same "full" battery voltage. Some of the batteries may reach that voltage before others, even if they all are the same make/model/AH/age. The ones that reach that voltage first will have almost no current applied to them, the lower voltage batteries will be receiving the charging current. When the charging circuit senses charging current to all batteries has decreased to its pre-set value, it will kick the charging voltage down to the "maintaining" voltage; normally about 13 volts.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum