Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #8
Bratmanstudio

State: California
THOR #8228
LONG ANSWER BUT WORTH YOUR WHILE:
Okay here's my semi expert opinion after several years of searching for the "perfect coach". First of all figure out a floor plan you want & don't compromise, make sure you sit and pretend to live in that plan without the salesman. Then figure out how you want to use your motorhome. Full time, several vacations throughout the year, longer stays, shorter stays? How many will be with you? Kids? Grand kids? Just the two of you? Then once that's done figure out how much you're willing to pay. If I had the money I would have bought a Tiffin. They have the best quality for motorhomes on the market and stand by their products like no one else. If you can't afford that, use that as the standard the other must live up to and decide what's good enough. For us they did not have the floor plan that we wanted and didn't want an older model we could afford. I never thought I would buy a Thor. Because honestly, the less-expensive Thor's seem to be built... not very well. And corners were cut in quality control. But they had real bang for the buck if you over looked their short comings. After 2013 on the more expensive gas versions of the motor coaches like the Miramar & the diesel Palazzo, we noticed the quality became better and at a good price. One thing the Thors had were great floor plans. It seems like they listen to what the consumers wanted. We looked at everything and I mean everything. After several trips across the west with no luck, we made a list of "must haves" during an 8 hr trip, just me and the DW from Arizona back to Cali. I made compromises which allowed us to find the MH that checked all the boxes of must haves. We found "the one" on a fluke, test drive that turned into the deal we literally could not refuse. So we went for it. We bought 2015 Miramar with stupid low millage. Previous owner made mods & upgrades we wouldn't afford, new fans, TV, Radios, satellite systems... The point is your dream RV is out there. But there's some caveats.
1. Don't but new, I heard the head of Thor products say they're building more than ever but the work force is very weak and the turnover is horrible thus lots of errors.
2. Buy used, let someone else work out the bugs. Thor warranty covers 1st 2 owners. (Used to be just the 1st owner)
3. Haggle on price on everything, be willing to walk away. Low ball them, they might (and did) say yes.
4. Make the salesman like you, be kind and friendly.
5. Be willing to walk away... That's that important so I said it twice.
6. Have your own mechanic/knowledgeable person check out everything, the process is overwhelming,
7. Get their PDI in writing and be apart of it until you're completely satisfied, and then things will still be missed. Oh, and Run everything, make sure all works before signing.
8. Buy at the best discount (haggle) the extended warranty, some have 0 deductibles. Buy none of their other mark up items. They want to up sell stuff you don't need.
We went thru this just 3 week ago, we love our coach but it still has problems. But then again who's great ideas was it to put your house on wheels and think it would be trouble free after an earthquake of bad roads and pot holes and rambunctious kids.
But a tool kit, a good one for the coach. Decide to have some romantic time, you and your spouse, under the coach doing the CHF (if you have a f53 that is)
Good luck, Rik.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Thor RV Forum mobile app

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum