Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
erice1098

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
THOR #7741
A/C Unit(s) on 2009 Thor Four Winds Hurricane 31D

Greetings,

I own a 2009 Thor Four Winds Hurricane 31D (not the original owner) and have a question about the A/C unit(s).

Our coach currently has one A/C unit installed in the main living area. It is a Coleman Mach 15. As a note, the A/C unit is brand new (had it installed last week as we were having problems with the old unit not cooling property and tripping the 20 amp breaker in the high heat area we were at).

We would like to install a second unit in the bedroom. The bedroom is already factory pre-wired for a second A/C unit. I know we can install a second unit in the bedroom and only have one running at a time, but can we run both units at the same time?

The coach is wired for 30 amp service. According to our power/surge protector we plug into the pedestal, at the heat of the day (115 degress), the amperage was around 24-26 amps with the A/C and fridge running (not sure if that is what was available at the pedistal or what we were drawing). We also have a meter display in the rear storage area for the inverter/converter? that showed a 18 amps.

The tech that installed our new A/C unit indicated that since the bedroom is factory pre-wired for a 2nd unit, there may be a "power control/switching unit" (I do not remember what he called it) that would allow both units to run at the same time.

I have tried to look up the information in the manual I have for the coach but I cannot find anything referencing this...

The tech also stated that he could install the second unit, but run a dedicated power line to the outside of the coach that we could plug into the standard 120 plug on the pedestal...

Any information, thoughts, opinions would be greatly appreciated!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum