Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
jpmihalk

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by USTraveler View Post
I still have concerns about the CHF but will probably try it on the rear when the weather warms a bit. I just can't see how the front CHF can be done unless I get longer rods to connect the frame to the sway bar. I always think that just because something has always been done doesn't necessarily mean that it is the right thing to do. Thanks again for the comments.
I will be honest - when we did our front CHF, the rods were pretty close to their limit when finally connected. But this is also what gives the ride its stiffness. The sway bar had to be lifted up to almost a 45 degree angle to line the holes up. The rear CHF was not nearly as much of an angle but was a little harder to do because of the removal and repositioning of the bolts and the mount in a limited space.

As a former Navy Surface Warfare Officer (driving ships for a living) the best thing about the CHF is the limit of the house whipping back and forth during turns and rough roads and the cabinet and pantry doors being forced open by the momentum of the side to side rocking. Without the CHF, we had the pantry flying open on a regular basis and things stored higher up had a tendency to go flying (missile hazards, in Naval parlance.) With the CHF, we don't worry so much about them any longer. Of course, we have also added some safeguards to keep the doors from opening anyway (bungee cords and hooking a wire in front of the pantry baskets to the wall prior to departure.) My first ship was an LST - a big flat-bottomed ship designed to beach and deliver Marines directly ashore - and it was simply awful in rough seas. Many lessons were learned from that experience that apply to our new RV life. I just hope I never have to learn how to walk on the walls of our RV!!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum