Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Ford extended the retirement date of the Ranger pickup a couple of times, so that's always possible I guess. Also, why update the E-Series for 2016 if only a year or two away from elimination?

From what I read years ago, they registered T-450 and T-550 names, so they may be planning on heavier-duty versions of Transit to replace the E-Series. They are not likely to walk away from C-Class market they basically own. It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds for sure.
My interpretation of the above post is: you're not sure they will use the new 6r140 transmission in the 2016 chassis because you're thinking they might eliminate the E-350 sooner rather than later so why bother with an upgrade. Right?

Old 07-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #42
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Ford extended the retirement date of the Ranger pickup a couple of times, so that's always possible I guess. Also, why update the E-Series for 2016 if only a year or two away from elimination?
Simple: They stopped producing the old transmission and ran out. Thus its either stop E-series chassis production or just start shipping the new trans (I doubt it was much engineering work to make it fit since its used on the trucks).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #43

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
My interpretation of the above post is: you're not sure they will use the new 6r140 transmission in the 2016 chassis because you're thinking they might eliminate the E-350 sooner rather than later so why bother with an upgrade. Right?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. To the contrary.

The 6R140 with V10 option is a done deal according to Ford specs.

I'm saying that if Ford was going to eliminate the E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis next year or the next, then why invest significant funds updating the chassis. I think the E-Series "may" be around longer than Ford originally estimated.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #44

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Simple: They stopped producing the old transmission and ran out. Thus its either stop E-series chassis production or just start shipping the new trans (I doubt it was much engineering work to make it fit since its used on the trucks).
Except that the 5R110 previously used in the E-Series and F-53 is still being used with the 5.4L V8 according to specs.

If you read my entire post, I think it's likely that the 5.4L V8 and 5R110 will be phased out because the volume from a few van chassis isn't enough to keep lines operational.

When I asked Thor a while back why they didn't use the standard V8 for the Axis/Vegas to get better fuel economy, I was told it was because it would likely be phased out before the V10. And that makes sense because the V10 is still used in larger trucks and RVs. The 5.4L V8 was recently replaced in the Expedition as far as I know, and pickup trucks before that. I can't imagine there is enough total combined volume to keep offering it along with 5R110 for much longer in any E-Series.

I would like to know whether Ford will offer another engine as standard equipment, or go with 6.8L V10 as base engine.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #45
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
If you read my entire post, I think it's likely that the 5.4L V8 and 5R110 will be phased out because the volume from a few van chassis isn't enough to keep lines operational.
One problem with the logic. Ford will not determine whether or not to produce based on volume. They will make that decision based on profitability.

Keep in mind, Ford was the only manufacturer that remained profitable during the economic downturn and did not require, and in fact refused, a government bailout. They pretty much know what sells within the "market" and will make decisions based on that factor regardless of what "individual consumers" think.

As individual consumers we have an option. If we don't like what Ford is doing buy a coach on another chassis.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #46

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One problem with the logic. Ford will not determine whether or not to produce based on volume. They will make that decision based on profitability.

....cut.....
Don't you think that's a distinction without a difference? Ford can't make an engine profitably in very small quantities. At some point it will be cheaper and hence more profitable to use another engine they manufacture in large volume, or eliminate it altogether.

I have plenty of first-hand experience with running lines for small quantities and know how expensive it gets.

When typing with one finger on an iPad I just assume some things don't need to be spelled out. Obviously if Ford can make a billion dollars by building a single engine, they will. But everyone knows that's not realistic.

I stand by by logic. There isn't much 5.4L V8 volume left and keeping it in production much longer is unlikely in my personal opinion.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #47
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One of the realities about the manufacturing world is that sometimes items made in small quantities can be extremely more profitable than items made in larger quantities. There are a number of reasons for this which include built in efficiencies, realized and/or R&D costs, location of manufacturing facilities, etc...

Also, since Ford is a global operation there are other markets for their engines
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #48

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. To the contrary.

The 6R140 with V10 option is a done deal according to Ford specs.

I'm saying that if Ford was going to eliminate the E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis next year or the next, then why invest significant funds updating the chassis. I think the E-Series "may" be around longer than Ford originally estimated.
Do you have a guess when production on the Axis with the 6 speed will begin?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #49

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Do you have a guess when production on the Axis with the 6 speed will begin?
No idea. I suppose Thor will run through all remaining 2015 chassis first.

For me it's becoming less of an issue because it doesn't appear I'll want to buy before then anyway. The more I read about issues with slides on this forum the less I want one.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 PM   #50

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
The more I read about issues with slides on this forum the less I want one.
This is part of what I like about the 25.2. The rear slide carries little weight, so I am less concerned about durability.
It seems that you don't gain much with the side slides on other models, since part of the slide is used for table and pipe storage. You must stow the main table to retract. On the 25.2, the table can stay.
Again, different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #51

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
This is part of what I like about the 25.2. The rear slide carries little weight, so I am less concerned about durability.
It seems that you don't gain much with the side slides on other models, since part of the slide is used for table and pipe storage. You must stow the main table to retract. On the 25.2, the table can stay.
Again, different strokes for different folks.
Of the four floorplans, having the slide in back like your 25.2 would be preferable for us because it is less intrusive during the day while on the road. When traveling with others, front slides crowd the front more so and cuts down on visibility.

Having said that, I would still prefer a 25.2-like Axis with twin/king beds at rear and no slide at all. Thor could accomplish it by adding a foot of lenght at rear, which would weigh less than the slide. It would also add more storage inside and out.