Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Y
State: Minnesota
THOR #8487
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMatt View Post
In general, you can either two two 6-volt batteries in series or two 12-volt batteries in parallel.

For the 12-volts, you take the Amp-Hour ratings on them and add them together to get the combined rating. 2 * 12v 120AH batteries = 12v 240 AH

For the 6-volt, they need to be the same Amp-Hour rating, then you get the value of one of them. 2 * 6v 300AH = 12v 300AH.

Because Golf Cart batteries are 6V, you can get some really good high AH batteries in that size, that are the same physical size.

Lastly, the 6v tend to be better deep cycle batteries, where you can discharge them almost completely and do no harm versus most of the 12v batteries, you damage them when you completely drain them.

Most of this information is based on various posts on this forum. Most people that have done the research have found that it is more cost effective and more power dense and overall better to do the two 6V instead of two 12v.

Hope that helps.
Awesome!! Thanks so much.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #62

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMatt View Post
In general, you can either two two 6-volt batteries in series or two 12-volt batteries in parallel.

For the 12-volts, you take the Amp-Hour ratings on them and add them together to get the combined rating. 2 * 12v 120AH batteries = 12v 240 AH

For the 6-volt, they need to be the same Amp-Hour rating, then you get the value of one of them. 2 * 6v 300AH = 12v 300AH.

Because Golf Cart batteries are 6V, you can get some really good high AH batteries in that size, that are the same physical size.

Lastly, the 6v tend to be better deep cycle batteries, where you can discharge them almost completely and do no harm versus most of the 12v batteries, you damage them when you completely drain them.

Most of this information is based on various posts on this forum. Most people that have done the research have found that it is more cost effective and more power dense and overall better to do the two 6V instead of two 12v.

Hope that helps.
Good explanation! Understandable and to the point.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #63

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Practically a complete tutorial on the 31E, with pics! Super great job mcgyvr. This will be extremely helpful for other 31E owners.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #64

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Thanks, I plan to track all the fun and hope it helps someone else or they can help me.

Thanks to those explained the 12 volt vs 6 volt batt. I have been on vacation!

Anyways, I stopped at the scale a couple weeks ago.
This configuration is what was weighed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	6317

And here's the weights:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0901.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	6318

My only concern is we are a bit over on what the tires are rated in the back.

Also we are getting 6-7 mpg at 65-70mph with the trailer and jeep.

mac 'didn't buy it for fuel economy' gyvr
Old 08-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #65

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yeah, good on your GCVWR but a good bit over on the GVWR too.

That wimpy rear axle is exactly what I'm up against too. I'm itching to get a side to side weight. I suspect that my rear slide + grey tank + fresh tank all on the right will make tires on that side of mine even more stressed....maybe even over on one side and ok on the other....

I don't remember off hand the axle ratings, but I wonder if you wouldn't be ok if you flat towed that Jeep. Have you considered doing that?

I considered getting a Jeep to to replace my silverado so that i could tow it, but I would need a 4-door jeep, and it seems that they are pushing the threshold for my hitch rating....but that 2-door jeep is probably good.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:53 AM   #66

THOR #7936
It's not the rear axle. That will take the weight. I think the limiting factor is the tires.

My trailer tires are cheaper than Jeep tires AND if I really Dick my jeep up, the trailer will always get it home.

mac 'I have to make this work for about the next 10 or so years' gyvr
Old 08-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #67

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
We have a 31W, pretty much the same floor plan with closet where the bunks are. We to are usually 100 to 200 lbs overweight as well. I added Firestone ride rite springs to the rear for a little extra lift. Also if we have ours long enough I will change the tires every couple years just to be on the safe side since they are being loaded to there Max.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #68

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
It's not the rear axle. That will take the weight. I think the limiting factor is the tires.
r
yeah, my gut tells me the same thing..... but it is an axle rating we are dealing with, so even if we could change to a load range F or higher tire, we'd still be up against that rating. No changing that.
It has crossed my mind to change out the tires to 17.5inch commercial tires. At least that would give a higher safety factor for the tires. A lot of money though.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #69

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #8350
You seem to be pretty good at electrical issues. Did you attempt to get the overhead cab bunk TV to work while the engine is running?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #70

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
yeah, my gut tells me the same thing..... but it is an axle rating we are dealing with, so even if we could change to a load range F or higher tire, we'd still be up against that rating. No changing that.

It has crossed my mind to change out the tires to 17.5inch commercial tires. At least that would give a higher safety factor for the tires. A lot of money though.

It's not an axle rating. It's a spring rating.
17.5 rims are usually on 10 lug wheels, I don't know if 8 lug wheels exist besides custom...money

Not sure they'd fit either.

mac 'tiny wheel wells' gyvr
Old 08-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #71

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragegame View Post
You seem to be pretty good at electrical issues. Did you attempt to get the overhead cab bunk TV to work while the engine is running?

Not yet. My last two RVs I made work that way tho. Maybe in the future.

mac 'not high enough on the priority list' gyvr
Old 08-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #72

THOR #908
Quote:
It's not an axle rating. It's a spring rating.
17.5 rims are usually on 10 lug wheels, I don't know if 8 lug wheels exist besides custom...money

Not sure they'd fit either.

mac 'tiny wheel wells' gyvr
well really it is an "axle" rating that Ford sets a limit on. They don't tell the specifics really what drives that.... there are a lot of links in the chain and it could be any or a combination.... there's also a safety factor, or several safety factors considered in that chain too.... tires, wheels, lugs, hubs, bearings, brakes, axle, gearing, springs, shackles, frame, and on and on....

They just give us a number to not go over on that rear axle "system" and don't really tell us what the weakest links are or how much safety factor is built into that either. Truthfully, it can all handle it.. all of us with these large floorplans prove that every day.

Anyway, I agree with you that the axle itself and most of the other mechanicals are almost surely able to handle significantly more. Balance of the spring and suspension system is likely a weak link...as are the tires

Sadly though, even if we change the tires and beef up the suspension (or anything else that we think is a weak link, we are still running against that rating that Ford set on that rear axle "system"

and on the tires, you might be interested in this
Rickson Wheel Manufacturing

I had these in the back of my mind when i was replacing tires after my recent blowout. I really wish that I had been in a position to be able to do this conversion at that time. Instead I was in "worry mode". I had the spare in place, and I was wanting to replace the other tires and not drive the family on them any more than necessary for fear of another blowout...and the body damage it caused...and I was away from home on a trip with no time to dally. Sadly it was a time money thing for me.... but in hind site I really do wish that I'd just limped home on the spare and budgeted to replace the wheels and tires instead of just the tires because now I'm stuck with a new set of really great tires that are a weak link
Old 08-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #73

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Attachment 5562

We leave for 10 days tomorrow.

mac 'giddy up' gyvr
Man, I hope that little V10 can pull all that weight.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #74

THOR #7936
Quote:
and on the tires, you might be interested in this
Rickson Wheel Manufacturing
There is so much win in that link. That is a great conversion. Those commercial tires will last a long time and a lot of miles, never mind upping the weight rating.

It's on my upgrade list, maybe before I go to Moab next year.

mac '1k per tire!' gyvr
Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #75

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Man, I hope that little V10 can pull all that weight.
Loves it.

The chassis is rated for 22k. If you saw the weight slip, I'm just under that.

It's got more power than my 5.9 cummins powered winnie had.

The 6 speed transmission works nicely behind it too.

mac 'no worries about hills' gyvr
Old 08-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #76

State: Europe
THOR #5486
We have a 2017 31E, just installed hellwig sway bars front and back, waiting on the bilstein shocks to arrive, the 33-176857 shock is specifically designed for the class c with the long overhand over the rare axle
Old 08-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #77

State: Europe
THOR #5486
Did you ever find the wiring diagrams for the 31e?
Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #78

THOR #7936
I got a diagram from Thor.

It's not exactly what I would call specific as far as how the wires run in the coach.

To fix the microwave connection, I had to chase and follow wires around the RV from inside, behind the cabinets and under the coach.

mac 'I know...shocking' gyvr
Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #79

THOR #908
Quote:
There is so much win in that link. That is a great conversion. Those commercial tires will last a long time and a lot of miles, never mind upping the weight rating.

It's on my upgrade list, maybe before I go to Moab next year.

mac '1k per tire!' gyvr
yep, the cost of the replacement tires...and to a lesser degree availability...is about the only "loose" really

They are likely readily available, but not necessarily from a retail tire place on a Sunday. I've been watching...looks like all the F-550 service body trucks and other similar ones all run that size.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #80

THOR #7936
Quote:
yep, the cost of the replacement tires...and to a lesser degree availability...is about the only "loose" really

They are likely readily available, but not necessarily from a retail tire place on a Sunday. I've been watching...looks like all the F-550 service body trucks and other similar ones all run that size.
A commercial tire like that is a lot harder to blow up too. I do carry a spare...

It might be easier to find one on a Sunday at a commercial truck shop that's open than you think.

mac 'just a matter of budgeting 7 tires and rims 'gyvr