Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #16759
Exclamation Battery Disconnect Switch? 1996 Four Winds E350 Class C

Hello, I am having an issue with my coach interior lights I am unable to run the lights without turning on the generator. My coach battery is brand new and all connections are nice and tight. I am unable to find the battery disconnect switch anywhere in the coach, driver seat or under the hood.

I was able to find the manual for it but no where does it show anything about a battery switch. Someone please help I am frustrated !

Old 09-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Check the Thor Tech Forums. You probably have a Transfer switch of some kind that switches from 110 volt shore power to battery power when you are not plugged in to shore power. It appears your tramsfer switch is not transfering over to battery power. Could also be a blown fuse or breaker switch. If your unit has a Battery Isolator switch it could be the fuse or reset on the isolator which would be under the hood by the battery. Hope this helps.
Mel
Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The transfer switch manages the shore power vs generator... Nothing to do with the 12v side of things (exception would be a transfer switch built into an inverter - but that wouldn't affect interior lights).

If the 12v lights, etc are not working without generator or shore power, then either the 'use/store' switch is in 'store' - typically located in the entrance stairwell area - or the 100A breaker is tripped in the battery box - flag will be out showing it is tripped.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

Model: ARIA
State: Illinois
THOR #15176
2017 ARIA interior lights stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
The transfer switch manages the shore power vs generator... Nothing to do with the 12v side of things (exception would be a transfer switch built into an inverter - but that wouldn't affect interior lights).

If the 12v lights, etc are not working without generator or shore power, then either the 'use/store' switch is in 'store' - typically located in the entrance stairwell area - or the 100A breaker is tripped in the battery box - flag will be out showing it is tripped.

This is a entry in the forum sometime ago. Mine is similar. The circuit breaker is not tripped in battery box, and battery disconnect is set to on. NO LIGHTS.
This has the pads for turning on lights. Is there a main control unit for this lighting system?
Thanks
Old 11-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If I read this all correctly: the RV is over 20 years old...
The O.P. might be working against a prior owner's modifications... or multiple failures in the power delivery system.
It's tough to make long distance diagnoses.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

THOR #15176
It's a 2017 Thor ARIA.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chock View Post
It's a 2017 Thor ARIA.
And therein lies the problem with posting a new problem in a thread started by someone else with a completely different coach, although the symptoms may be the same, the coach is way different.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Does a 1996 even have a battery disconnect switch???? If it does it's in the stairwell.

Interior lights are 12 volts. Do you have 120 power on everything else when on shore power?

Converter provides 12 volts when on shore power and charges the battery. Converter is powered by 120 volts.

Do lights work on shore power?
Old 11-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chock View Post
This is a entry in the forum sometime ago. Mine is similar. The circuit breaker is not tripped in battery box, and battery disconnect is set to on. NO LIGHTS.
This has the pads for turning on lights. Is there a main control unit for this lighting system?
Thanks
Please start your own post. Lots of differences between a '96 and a '17. Very hard to know who we are answering.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #10

THOR #15176
Posted in maintaince
Old 11-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #11

THOR #15553
Quote: