Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Jersey
THOR #1554
Thinking about an AXIS/Vegas

Our family is seriously considering the purchase of one of these RV's. We are going to a show on Saturday and are hoping to get a good deal. Without getting into specifics can some owners give me a ball par figure of what they paid or have heard what others have paid.
I also see some issues have popped up as far as drive train and tail lights. Over all do you owners find the coach acceptable. Is the bed in the 24.1 comfortable. How about the air mattress in the 25.1.
Driving myself crazy with research. Any comments, tips or concerns would be appreciated.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Show specials typically run in the low $70k for the 24.1. You are doing well if you can find one in the $60k's.
So far only one person on this forum has reported a problem with the driveline. The tail light water sealing issue is common to all Thor units.
I find the rear bed on our 24.1 quite comfortable. Our son didn't like the air mattress on the drop down bunk so we replaced it with a foam one.
You can drive yourself crazy with research. At some point you just have to pull the trigger. Just remember to have a good checklist and go through everything during the PDI.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The tail lights are not only common to many Thor units, the same tail lights are used on many other brands as well, including Winnebago, Coachmen, Fleetwood, and a few others; mostly it seems they are used in their budget or entry level models.

However, many of the up-scale models of these brands use other type tail-lights. And even some of the upscale Thor units use different tail lights, such as the Citation models.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Ohio
THOR #1535
Loucrew,
I agree with JamieGeek. You can drive yourself nuts researching the unit on the internet. I was in your shoes 6 months ago, and almost reached the conclusion that all MH are all lemons! You just need to realize that for every 1 person with a bad experience, there are 100s of people out there enjoying their time and RV.

We just purchased our 25.1 last week. We paid in the mid $60k's, plus tax.
Did a thorough inspection on it and everything seemed to function.

Good luck...

Matt
Old 02-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
loucrew,

Have never regretted the purchase of ours and have only had some minor issues to have corrected. Fun to drive and camp in.

Might want to check with Total Value RV in Elkhart for a good deal. Gave us a price in the $60k's and found them to be very honest and reliable. They have many Thor types to choose from and are only a few miles from the factory so you have < 50 miles on the coach when it's picked up.

Haven't had an issue with the tail lights on mine.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

State: Colorado
THOR #1327
loucrew,

We did plenty of research before buying ours at Total Value RV in Elkhart. Being newbees at RVs, we drove ourselves almost crazy with research and issues raised by others. At least until we determined, an RV is a "custom made" vehicle unlike a car. Also, we realized we would have to deal with repairs and maintenance with an RV, not like our practically maintenance free cars. We have our 24.1 sitting in our driveway, winterized and ready for the spring weather to put on 10-15k miles on it in 2015, seeing our beautiful USA!
Old 02-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #7

State: New Jersey
THOR #1554
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I am ready to take the plunge. At this point it will all come down to price. I know where I need to be at this point so hopefully all will go smoothly on Saturday at the show.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
I am not enthused about the rear bed in the 25.1 . If you can live without a dinette then consider either a 24.1 or possible a 25.2 if you can find one.

Have fun looking,

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by loucrew View Post
How about the air mattress in the 25.1.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #1560
2015 Axis/Vegas 24.1 QC and/or Warranty Issues

Did anyone have a significant or numerous minor quality control issues when you received your new 2015 Axis/Vegas 24.1? Who would you attribute the issues to (factory or dealer)? How long did the process take to resolve these issues?

Has anyone had any warranty work performed on your new 2015 Axis/Vegas 24.1? How was the dealer and factory support, and how long did the process take to resolve the issue?

Thanks - Charlie.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #1327
Charlie,

There is plenty of comments about this subject, made on this forum and IRV2 that I discovered before I purchased. The most helpful and invaluable, were posted by JamieGeek, Larry, and Randy (also from Colorado). Perhaps you can scan previous posts for specifics?

Evergreen 49
Old 02-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #11

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
I have already expressed my opinions and experiences with our 2014 Vegas. I will say that we do like the handling, maneuverability, and how nimble this coach is in traffic, and just driving in confines spaces, such as parking lots and cramped campground sites. We had a 2010 Tiffin Allegro 30 DA that was a good coach, but the wife would not drive it because it was taller, handled like a bus, and 6 feet longer than the Vegas. We got about 6-7 mpg with the Tiffin, and 9-10 with the Vegas towing our PT Cruiser. We had, and are still resolving quality control issues, both factory and dealer shortcomings. Nonetheless, we have traveled and camped with this coach quite a bit, and do enjoy it, and will more so, when we finally have all the issues resolved. We feel the design and usefulness of the coach is worth going thru these teething pains.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1460
I have had my 2015 24.1 for over 6 months now with over 6000 miles on it, using it every month and I enjoy it every time I go out in it. Yes, it had issues but nothing major so far. If you want you can PM me and I can give you a list of things I have had fixed/replaced/ or adjusted. Overall, I don't reget the purchase. Good Luck.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #1560
Thanks For the Feedback

Evergreen49 - Thanks for all of the specific comments/opinions and for pointing me toward the previous posts, which have provided considerable food for thought.

davidgebo - Thanks for your comments on the driveability and enjoyability of your RV. It is a bit concerning that that the dealer/factory have still not resolved your issues. Hope this happens soon.

aero77 - Glad to hear you had no major issues and enjoy your RV. I did PM you for that list of issues you graciously offered. Thanks.