Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2016, 03:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Hurricane 27K upper side window shade?

We are trying to find a solution to blocking the sun from coming through the upper side windows on our 2016 Hurricane 27K. This is when we are driving. We had several instances when the sun was coming in so brightly that it was almost painful to the vision.

We did pull the window curtain part way and clipped it, but that is not a good solution in the long run. The window is not square, so not sure how we could mount a small curtain rod or a roll up shade.

Has anyone found a way to provide some kind of sun blocking while underway that won't interfere with the front window curtains? We're fine once we stop as we can close the cabin curtains.

Pic attached of the upper side window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 hurr3 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1980  

Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
We bought tinted plastic shade for our Vegas, that we put in the upper Windows next to the driver and passenger. It stayed up for two years, until we sold the coach, but is easily removable.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
We bought tinted plastic shade for our Vegas, that we put in the upper Windows next to the driver and passenger. It stayed up for two years, until we sold the coach, but is easily removable.
Hi...could you tell me what kind/style of plastic shade and how you secured it to the window? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

THOR #1765
It's not a plastic shade, it's the plastic film that you attach to the glass using a thin film of water. I have the box in my new Axis because I have not installed it yet on the new one, but I am 4500 miles from the coach and will not be home for another month. I think the company I used was solarguard.com.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

THOR #2005
Quote:
It's not a plastic shade, it's the plastic film that you attach to the glass using a thin film of water. I have the box in my new Axis because I have not installed it yet on the new one, but I am 4500 miles from the coach and will not be home for another month. I think the company I used was solarguard.com.
Oh! Thanks! I think I know what you're talking about. I appreciate the info and will go in search of some of that film. Thanks again!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We have the same issue with our Challenger. For 2016 Thor started installing a roller shade on the side windows and I am starting to look at retrofitting my coach to the roller shade and getting rid of the pleated shades on those windows. By doing so it would allow me to pull the shade down to act as a sun visor while driving and then raise it when desired. The shades I have seen installed on those windows are the same style shades used throughout the coach minus the solar shade. As I started researching options I noticed that there are over/under (night and solar) rather than side by side options available.

I haven't started the project yet because my wife would like a valance to cover the shade roller so that, in her words, the coach doesn't begin looking like Jed Clampett's truck rolling down the highway.

The issue with including a valance is the distance between the overhead bunk components and the side wall. A shade roller will fit but I'm not sure a roller and valance will fit.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Do you have a valance over your front roller shade?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Do you have a valance over your front roller shade?
Yes. There is a valance covered in leatherette that extends from side to side and does not lower with the overhead bunk.

You can see it between the cabinet end and the side wall and running the width of the coach in these pics.

Name:	front shade 2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1981

Name:	front shade 1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1982
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

THOR #1765
Nice. I had cabinets like that in a previous Class C. One if the things I lost going to the Vegas/Axis.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Nice. I had cabinets like that in a previous Class C. One if the things I lost going to the Vegas/Axis.
If someone wanted it shouldn't be too hard of a mod. The cabinets are attached to the bottom of the overhead bunk and raise and lower with the bed. The mounting is nice because if the bed is down you still have access to those cabinets. We use them for storage of stuff required while driving. Things such as vehicle registration, GPS related items, phone charging cables, work gloves, an umbrella, a small airline style travel pillow for the co pilot and a few basic tools call those cabinets their home.

The problem I have with them, although it is minor, is it is actually one long cabinet with three doors. There are no interior dividers so what is put in the passenger side might be found on the drivers side at the end of the trip. We learned this lesson on the shakedown cruise last year.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Dave,
In our 27K we have the same long cabinet on the bunk and one over the bed that king bed that don't have dividers. To keep things in place we have put the anti-skid, sponge rubber they use under area rugs. That solved the the problem. We bought it in the flooring section at home depot.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Dave,
In our 27K we have the same long cabinet on the bunk and one over the bed that king bed that don't have dividers. To keep things in place we have put the anti-skid, sponge rubber they use under area rugs. That solved the the problem. We bought it in the flooring section at home depot.
I have, since the shakedown, lined all of the cabinets and outside storage areas, with tool box drawer liner. For those overheads I also found that some of the small small spring loaded cabinet rods work well as dividers.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44063-Cu.../dp/B000EDUUHQ
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Dave,
I have, since the shakedown, lined all of the cabinets and outside storage areas, with tool box drawer liner. For those overheads I also found that some of the small small spring loaded cabinet rods work well as dividers.

Amazon.com: Camco 44063 Cupboard Bars - 3 pack: Automotive
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #14

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
We are trying to find a solution to blocking the sun from coming through the upper side windows on our 2016 Hurricane 27K. This is when we are driving. We had several instances when the sun was coming in so brightly that it was almost painful to the vision.

We did pull the window curtain part way and clipped it, but that is not a good solution in the long run. The window is not square, so not sure how we could mount a small curtain rod or a roll up shade..
Check my post yesterday under modification: Heat blocking tints, it's a 3M film, clear and they work great.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #3801
You might want also want to check out Magne Shade (Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade, under products). They have a product (Flip Shades) we have installed in our Hurricane that works well. While not inexpensive, they have worked well for us so far.

The Flip Shades are installed internal to the coach. They are shaped to fit the three part window.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:36 AM   #16

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinegan View Post
You might want also want to check out Magne Shade (Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade, under products). They have a product (Flip Shades) we have installed in our Hurricane that works well. While not inexpensive, they have worked well for us so far.

The Flip Shades are installed internal to the coach. They are shaped to fit the three part window.
Thank you very much for the link. I appreciate the information!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
We purchased plastic hooks from Walmart that would stick to the corners of the glass window. Walmart has hooks that will stick to the glass, but can be removed if needed.
Then I purchased a small diameter doweling rod from my local hardware store and cut the length long enough to hang in the hooks such that the end of the doweling bumped into the side of the window frame. My wife made short curtains that would cover the upper window and be supported by the doweling rod.
We can remove the curtains by lifting them from the supporting hooks or install them to block the sunlight. The curtains do not interfere with the pull-around shade and look nice from both the inside and outside of the coach.
We also attached long pieces of doweling to the pull-around windshield shade. This allowed us to easily close and open the shade without requiring us to bend over the operators console. A small eyes-crew can be inserted into the end of the doweling and a small clip used to connect fishing leaders to their line used to connect the eyes-crew to the first curtain hanger.
When the window shade is opened all the way, the doweling rod is tucked into the curtain holder along with the curtain. I use a small elastic snubber to secure the last few inches of the curtain to the doweling which prevents the curtain from being sucked out of the window when it is opened while we travel.