Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > DRV Luxury Suites
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2023, 07:08 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: Houston
State: Tennessee
THOR #25217
My pin weight with the fresh water tank full is 4500#Pounds.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:16 AM   #22

Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminonut69 View Post
My pin weight with the fresh water tank full is 4500#Pounds.
I don't think you need to be concerned. If you are happy with the ride leave it alone.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:56 AM   #23

Model: Full House JX450
State: Arkansas
THOR #17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
True story!

Several mentioned a while back on FB. All that I know of have had solid hitches and pin poxes. One guy stated he had an air hitch then later admitted his hitch and pin box were both solid when the frame cracked.

As i have mentioned I have an air bag pin box and with my 6k pin I guarantee if I had the MORryde solid pin box I would have cracks.

What brand/model pin box do you have? I’ve been thinking of upgrading my MORryde pin box. Last time I weighed, I was close to 25k with 5.5k on the pin. So far no frame cracks yet but an air ride type pin box makes sense to me.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:04 PM   #24

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
What brand/model pin box do you have? I’ve been thinking of upgrading my MORryde pin box. Last time I weighed, I was close to 25k with 5.5k on the pin. So far no frame cracks yet but an air ride type pin box makes sense to me.
2020 from what I know has the cracked frame issue fixed.

My pin box is a TrailAir TriGlide air bag unit. They don't make the TriGlide portion any longer. The TrailAir is 21k rated.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:24 AM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alaska
THOR #29254
I'm surprised that this is still circulating on this forum. The frames broke because the owners were doing a tug test to make sure the jaws were closed just like you would do on a semi truck and trailer. The reason this failure doesn't keep showing up is because these people were performing it as if they were driving a semi truck with all the weight on the landing gear! A RV and semi trailer are built totally different and your RV frame can't take the stress of this tug test with all the weight on the landing gear! The frame cracking is a result of owner error and not manufacturer! If you need to do the tug test on your hitch then you need to raise the jacks until they non longer have weight on them!
Old 03-20-2023, 02:46 AM   #26

Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cowboy@duck.com View Post
I'm surprised that this is still circulating on this forum. The frames broke because the owners were doing a tug test to make sure the jaws were closed just like you would do on a semi truck and trailer. The reason this failure doesn't keep showing up is because these people were performing it as if they were driving a semi truck with all the weight on the landing gear! A RV and semi trailer are built totally different and your RV frame can't take the stress of this tug test with all the weight on the landing gear! The frame cracking is a result of owner error and not manufacturer! If you need to do the tug test on your hitch then you need to raise the jacks until they non longer have weight on them!
Interesting statement. This post was created to gather facts and see if we could see some commonalities to form an accurate hypothesis. Have you talked with the people that have had frame issues and have first hand knowledge that they in fact all did pull tests with the front landing gear down?
I like to deal in facts and not speculations, but that’s just me.
That would be awesome if they all did that as it could be a contributing factor. I would think you would get more front landing gear damage. As they were designed to support vertical load not horizontal shear force.
You should update your profile from still looking to what DRV you have. I’m assuming this from another post that you just made with in a couple of days.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:11 PM   #27

Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
Interesting theory cowboy. What is your source for the information to back that?

Bill
Old 03-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #28

Model: 41 RSSB 4
THOR #3565
Yes ,I do a TUG test every time , BUT the landing gear is ALLWAYS up and the 5w is loaded on the kingpin ! I think most of this group would do it that way as compared to the way you described . And at least two dozen units have FAILED, if not more and I believe that it is a combination of DESIGN , MATERIAL , LACK of WORKMANSHIP and QC .I was sold a unit DESIGNED for FULL TIME living and TRAVELLING , but after 7 years on the road I do not believe that anymore

2013 RAM 3500 Mega Cab DRW / 3.42

2016 DRV 41RSSB4 ( plus 1 ) PERSONNELIZED
ARCliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:59 PM   #29

THOR #1661
Pull test theory does not hold water. What does is the fact every failure has been towed with a non up and down absorbing hitch and kingpin.

I have factory rear air ride on my truck plus a TrailAir pinbox with an absorbing air bag. THIS is why MY frame has not failed as I have 6k pin weight like ARCliz.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:20 AM   #30

Model: Full House JX450
State: Arkansas
THOR #17747
Cracked frame tracking data

I do a tug test every time also - old habit from driving tractor/trailer. I do it with the landing gear down because I don’t want the trailer falling down on to my truck or falling all the way down to the ground. I fully engage the trailer brakes and give it a light tug. With all six hydraulic brakes activated, the trailer will not want to move and you won’t stress your landing gear. A light tug is all that is needed. It’s a good idea to leave your tailgate down while doing this (if you have one).

If you do a tug test and crack your frame, rip your landing gear off or drop your trailer, you might want to re-evaluate your process.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:15 PM   #31

THOR #1661
B&W hitch never do a pull test. I do a Visual test. Kingpin plate and 5er hitch plate touching, the hitch jaws wrapped around kingpin and hitch handle locked it is "HITCHED" no question.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:29 PM   #32

THOR #1658
Quote:
B&W hitch never do a pull test. I do a Visual test. Kingpin plate and 5er hitch plate touching, the hitch jaws wrapped around kingpin and hitch handle locked it is "HITCHED" no question.
Same here.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:40 PM   #33

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Same here.
You can't believe how many have said I was irresponsible for stating I do NOT do a physical pull test but do a VISUAL test.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #34

Model: 38RSSA
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3221
Ron, in my opinion those ridiculing you have NO idea just how the B & W hitch operates! When the handle swings into the closed/locked position (with the safety pin in place) AND visibly you can see the jaws are wrapped around the king pin, THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN "DROP" THE TRAILER!

I've had the B &W hitch for 8 years now and have NEVER come close to a "dropped" trailer, I might add like you, I don't do pull tests either, never have!

Dan
Old 03-27-2023, 12:28 AM   #35

Model: Elite Suite 40KSSB4
State: Michigan
THOR #7004
I took the morryde pin box off and replaced it with a Gen Y fifth wheel pin box. It matched up with a Trailersaver BD5 F.
Best investment I ever made
Old 03-27-2023, 02:07 PM   #36

THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_nicholson View Post
I took the morryde pin box off and replaced it with a Gen Y fifth wheel pin box. It matched up with a Trailersaver BD5 F.
Best investment I ever made
I would like to know why it's so good? I thought the TrailerSaver had air bags for up and down absorption??? I thought the MorRyde had fore and aft absorption???

So with both I wonder what the Gen Y adds to the equation.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:38 PM   #37

THOR #1658
Quote:
You can't believe how many have said I was irresponsible for stating I do NOT do a physical pull test but do a VISUAL test.
Not sure why. You can clearly see when the jaws are around the king pin.