Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2018, 01:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Screw coming up through linoleum flooring

Ok, I have a 2016 34f Windsport and I saw this on your website about a screw in front of the couch/ tv that at first pushed up the linoleum flooring. Ok the town I live in does not have an RV repair shop, I am disabled and in my experience the ones closest are dishonest. I want to know if this is something serious or do I just superglue it down and wait till summer is over to fix it?

Old 08-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not sure what waiting till summer is over will do unless someone is building a new repair shop near you. It will eventually poke through your flooring. Lay a rug or something soft over it, avoid stepping on it and schedule a road trip (with appointment) to a comparable shop some day soon. It's a small, non-mechanical fix that maybe a cabinet shop or flooring contractor near you could probably repair for you...not necessarily having to see an RV service shop.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There have been threads covering this type of repair.
As I recall (this means that you should verify this!): you use a really sharp knife to cut most of the way around it. You raise up the loose tab of flooring, deal with the loose screw (making sure that it'll stay put this time!), and then you glue down the flooring.

But verify this!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #4

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
As I recall (this means that you should verify this!): you use a really sharp knife to cut most of the way around it. You raise up the loose tab of flooring, deal with the loose screw (making sure that it'll stay put this time!), and then you glue down the flooring.

But verify this!
Yeah, did that and i got a screwdriver, tried to tighten the screw (it did not tighten and is still looser), looked through the access areas and the water drain tank and plumbing is in the way, so it is impossible to get to without getting under the RV. This is a two person job, one person below to hold the nut and one person inside the RV with the screwdriver to tighten it. Seems like they could have put a locking nut underneath OR they could have put lock tight on the screw threads, Maybe super glue or in the old, old days fingernail polish... and yes that works too. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, me getting under an RV is a fond rememberance. If it ain't serious, I ain't doing it and I really don't want to put it in the shop for a couple of weeks over just this one thing if it ain't serious.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'd sure be tempted to pull the screw, and coat it with epoxy...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:10 AM   #6

THOR #8432
Quote:
I'd sure be tempted to pull the screw, and coat it with epoxy...
Yeah, wanted to do that except it doesn't tighten, just got looser. Talked to Thor and they said it is one of many screws connecting the frame to the chassis. Will try to tighten it later on and super glueing after the summer is over. Then after that I also glue the linoleum back over the top of the screw. Meantime I have a 1/4" of foam tiles to cover all the linoleum. Looks better too.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:

But verify this!
pretty much exactly what I'd do.
just like repairing sheet flooring in a house. I'd cut along a seam in the pattern (like the grout line, assuming it's a fake tile look). that'll help hide the repair. I forgot what sort of clear glue I used when i last did this... I think it was some sort of thing form homedepot for the purpose... some kind of sealer maybe. Could barely see it with a magnifying glass when it was done.

As far as the screw not tightening, if you feel it's a critical screw then it would prob be good to do more investigation to be sure what it is.... but I'd look at just replacing it with the next larger size screw.....