Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcorry View Post
Naval Academy at Annapolis has a campground -- not the nicest, but quite inexpensive -- good if you are just using it as a place to sleep while touring with a TOAD during the day.
I lived 15 minutes from there and toured the academy a couple of times and did not know that. I would think that you need to be active or retired military to gain access to it.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
And they have ice cream socials.
Prolly a very, very good idea. Years ago I got caught in a 5 O'clock traffic jam there... in a car. In an RV it would have been far worse.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 AM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoshida View Post
I would go from DC up to Gettysburg then over to Philly. Great historical trip.
Thanks I think this is our plan

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #44

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Thanks I think this is our plan

Jerry
Gotta remember that parking at the tourist areas will be tough to find. Use the subways and tourist busses. Make a list of the stuff to see and in between where to eat.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #45

Model: 34J
State: South Carolina
THOR #13131
I stayed in Bull Run Campground during Thanksgiving. It's a short drive to the first train stop into DC. 20 minutes I think. Campground is nice. Full hookup, 30 and 50 amp. Lots of trees. It is located beside the Manassas National Battleground Park just off I66. there is a public shooting range there also so lots of gun noise on the weekends. It did not bother us tho.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #46

State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Washington DC camping

I stayed in Pohick Bay, Va. Near the rail. Safer area I was told than Cherry Hill and MUCH cheaper. Right next to George Mason (the original writer of the Bill of Rights for Virginia) plantation. Really nice park. Some leveling issues but it’s an old park.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #47

State: Arizona
THOR #10797
Bull Run regional park. Beautiful
Old 01-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #48

State: Arizona
THOR #10797
Bull Run Regional Park. Beautiful and the sites are not to close together. 20 minutes to a metro train station. Be sure to visit the Smithsonian Air Museum at Dulles Airport. That's where they have the Space Shuttle Discovery and the Ebola Gay.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:15 PM   #49

State: Arkansas
THOR #10401
Things to do

There are tons of free museums and the zoo run by the Smithsonian Institution and the monuments. Some other “pay” museums worth the cost. The Spy Museum is pretty cool. The Museum of the Bible is brand new with no cost but suggested donation. The National Park Service manages access to the bell tower at the Old Post Office where the Trump Hotel is also located. As long as the Govt is running it’s the best view in the city.

Check out Old Town Alexandria across the river in Virginia and Georgetown is fun. The Newseum is a pricey but interesting museum right on Pennsylvania Ave. worth seeing especially because it’s going to be closing for good in the near future since news industry is too broke to supportt any longer.

Fun town.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:35 PM   #50

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcindc View Post
There are tons of free museums and the zoo run by the Smithsonian Institution and the monuments. Some other “pay” museums worth the cost. The Spy Museum is pretty cool. The Museum of the Bible is brand new with no cost but suggested donation. The National Park Service manages access to the bell tower at the Old Post Office where the Trump Hotel is also located. As long as the Govt is running it’s the best view in the city.

Check out Old Town Alexandria across the river in Virginia and Georgetown is fun. The Newseum is a pricey but interesting museum right on Pennsylvania Ave. worth seeing especially because it’s going to be closing for good in the near future since news industry is too broke to supportt any longer.

Fun town.
Make SURE you get a map of DC which includes the museums, bus AND subway stops. This helps best of all.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:26 AM   #51

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Totally agree on bull run- very nice- clean place. I have stayed there before and used to live near by.
DO NOT STAY AT GREENBELT! Its not a safe area.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:58 AM   #52

Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueasher1@netzero.net View Post
I stayed in Pohick Bay, Va. Near the rail. Safer area I was told than Cherry Hill and MUCH cheaper. Right next to George Mason (the original writer of the Bill of Rights for Virginia) plantation. Really nice park. Some leveling issues but it’s an old park.
Cherry Hill is a VERY safe campground. It is also a gated campground. It is on the edge of College Park, MD. Which if you do not know is where the University of Maryland is.
Have you stayed there? I have twice now.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:59 AM   #53

Model: Chateau Sport
State: Washington
THOR #14295
RV parks near D.C.

Hi: you should consider staying at the Cherry Hill RV Park in College Station, MD. It’s beautiful and very easy to get into D.C. The park has transportation services or it’s a short walk to the metro that will take you to town. There’s tons of stuff to do at the RV park too.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #54

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2450
Definitely Cherry Hill

Have stayed twice at Cherry Hill in the last 3 years. Easy to DC with public transportation. Last May had 14 and ten year old with us. Staff was very nice and helpful. Plan to stay there again soon. DC is a great place to visit. Talk to your Representatitve's Office before you go and try to get on the list for Capital and White House Tours. Last trip learned you should try to schedule the Holocaust Museum in advance as well. There is a part that is always open, but a part that requires a reservation. I was there May 25. The earliest appointment I could schedule was June 17.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #55

State: Virginia
THOR #9303
There is also a new KOA adjacent to the Kings Dominion (Six Flags) Complex, about 30 miles south of Fredericksburg. It is still within close distance to the Virginia Railway Express station in Spotsylvania County.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 AM   #56

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
SO our plan as of now is to hit D.C, Gettysburg, and Independence Hall. We wont do any sight seeing on the way there. Coming home we will head south and take our time. Might travel through the Carolinas, Tennessee, and possibly Northern Florida.

Anyone have any suggestions where we can do a meet and greet. Maybe get a few members to show up

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #57

State: Virginia
THOR #9303
Things to see in DC

Halfprice,

While in DC I recommend you tour the National Archives. It has the original Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence on display, and a lot of great historical displays. Always worth the visit, and its free, but you may have to wait in long lines. Several other great attractions in that immediate area.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #58

Model: outlaw 37rb
THOR #5223
DC Tips

1. Contact your congressman or senator NOW and request tickets for DC area a personal tour of the Capital Building by one of his or her staff.
2. Take the train from Virginia into DC. Train parking lots fill up early and some have limited parking.
3. Sunday morning is BEST day to drive into DC and see monuments around the mall. Lots of parking and no traffic.
4. Old postal building (now a shopping center) has a tower with great views of city. Good alternative if you cant get a ticket to go inside the Washington monument.
5. Pentagon tour is not worth it. Lot of walking to see plaques in hallways.
6. A professional tour can be fun, but not necessary if you read and plan ahead.
7. Like any city, be crime warry and don't venture into residential neighborhoods (many are not safe, even during the day).

Have toured DC multiple times over the years and have always seen something new!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #59
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
SO our plan as of now is to hit D.C, Gettysburg, and Independence Hall. We wont do any sight seeing on the way there. Coming home we will head south and take our time. Might travel through the Carolinas, Tennessee, and possibly Northern Florida.

Anyone have any suggestions where we can do a meet and greet. Maybe get a few members to show up

Jerry
Buy your Independence Hall tickets ahead of time. We were there last summer and didn't get to tour it--sold out.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:10 AM   #60

Model: Dallas
State: Wisconsin
THOR #2170
DC

Another vote for Cherry Hill......it's a gorgeous park. They are very helpful getting your tour lined up. DC could take weeks to see everything. We stayed a short week last fall, our 4th or 5th trip. We are retired (old) so some of the Museums can take a whole day. With kids the Spy Museum would be good but we spent the best part of the day there. The Holocaust museum is a must see as is the American Indian and African American History and Culture....all Smithsonian and free.....we already paid for them. The bus picks you up at the park and takes you to the subway. The park will give you the info and set you up with the necessary cards and loading the money.