Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Jerry's Hurricane mods

I'm starting this thread to keep track of the mods I do to the Hurricane. Hopefully someone will benefit from it.

So we've had the Hurricane at home for a week now. Its loaded up and bed sheets are on their way from Amazon.

Did two mods today. When driving home from the dealer the helm area was very hot. The big windows really brings in lots of heat. So this was first on the list.

To keep the dash a/c in the helm area we installed a curtain behind the passenger/driver seats. By doing this the cold air will stay here and not travell to the rest of the mh

I used 1" wooden dowel, $6 at Lowes, and blackout curtains from walmart, $9 each needed 3. To hang the rod we used 2 towel racks that we used on our 5th. Cant use them on the hurricane because it has sliding doors. Total about $35

To help keep the mh cooler when camping in high heat areas i bought a 4'x25' roll of Reflextic insulation, $44 at Lowes. It refects the sun away from the mh and blocks it from coming in. Put it on the front windshield, both side windows and the two bedroom windows. I need to buy another 10' roll to cover the livingroom dining room windows. When not in use they will be stored on the overhead bunk

Will probably store the curtains there as well

The mh a/c blows very cold but it doesnt circulate very well. So we bought a fan at costco. Its super quite and moves a ton of air pushing to cold throughout the mh. $45 well spent.

I'm post more as I get things done

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38sq
THOR #4598
Re: Hurricane Mods

Some nice creativity there halfprice. What did you use to support/attach the Reflextic insulation? Thanks for sharing, please continue to keep us in the loop.

sundance
Old 07-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Nice work!

Here is something to check from a fellow hurricane owner. Thor had one of the vents (driver's left) connected wrong! Was connected to the floor hose and the vent (A/C) was blowing down on the floor. Since I discovered and fixed this, I turn the A/C down now while driving - even this Saturday driving back from MD with 98F reading on the dash.

Also, the front window curtains are junk for keeping the sun / heat out. the lining is a joke and mine is already disintegrating. I may try the foil you did - nice idea!

Keep em coming!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #4

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Some nice creativity there halfprice. What did you use to support/attach the Reflextic insulation? Thanks for sharing, please continue to keep us in the loop.

sundance
Sundance,
I used 3M hooks

https://www.amazon.com/MOT5-17067-VP...3m+hook+strips

Easy on, let sit for 24 hours to let the glue set up. Easy off by pulling the tab. No holes in the walls

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-25-2016, 11:38 PM   #5

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Nice work!

Here is something to check from a fellow hurricane owner. Thor had one of the vents (driver's left) connected wrong! Was connected to the floor hose and the vent (A/C) was blowing down on the floor. Since I discovered and fixed this, I turn the A/C down now while driving - even this Saturday driving back from MD with 98F reading on the dash.

Also, the front window curtains are junk for keeping the sun / heat out. the lining is a joke and mine is already disintegrating. I may try the foil you did - nice idea!

Keep em coming!
Darren,
I agree the curtains suck. I'll probably upgrade to pull down day/nightshades. They are costly so a window or two at a time.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

THOR #3156
Another mod this morning

I bought a progressive industries hard wired surge protector/electrical management system

Had to disconnect the shore power wiring going into the transfer switch. This wire hoked into in incoming side of the unit. Ran 10 guage from the out going side into the transfer switch

This puts the prorector in line from the shore power to the transfer switch

Ran the display meter cable behind the fuse/breaker box and up just above. Cant see the cable which is nice

Ill take a black magic marker to cover the bolt and washer

Couple if pics
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Nicely done!

I sure wish the area under our bed was a lot cleaner and more organized like yours... we have our fresh water tank there, surrounded by plumbing, vents and wiring. Both the DC fuse panel and the AC circuit breaker panel are in the wall at the foot of the bed, and there is not much room to navigate the maze once the bed board is lifted.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

THOR #3156
Another mod finished this morning

Did the cheap handling fix (chf) to the front and rear sway bars. Took a little less than two hours from start to finish which includes getting the tools ready for the job and putting them away when done

For not being mechanically inclined my kind of proud of doing this mod. So easy even a caveman can do it

No pics right now i might take some a little later for those of you that dont know what the chf is
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-30-2016, 01:00 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 38sq
THOR #4598
Yep, Like to see those pics

Hey Jerry, you are really fired up with this mod business. And yes I would like to see some pics of the "CHF" since I don't have a clue as to what it is, guess I could google it if I weren't so lazy.

By the way I picked-up a roll of the Reflectix and as I was trying to learn more about the product on-line I came across some data/conversation regarding how this company grossly over states the R (thermal) rating of their product. The R rating discussion was somewhat of an eyeopener for me. I'm not sure it matters in our case because I'm going to use it similarly to what you did.

BTW, I going to install a surge protector soon but I'm considering using a portable model and mounting it on-board with plugs so that I can use it externally if I should so choose. I'll likely use the Progressive Industries 50 Amp model.

sundance
Old 07-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #10

THOR #3156
Quote:
Hey Jerry, you are really fired up with this mod business. And yes I would like to see some pics of the "CHF" since I don't have a clue as to what it is, guess I could google it if I weren't so lazy.

By the way I picked-up a roll of the Reflectix and as I was trying to learn more about the product on-line I came across some data/conversation regarding how this company grossly over states the R (thermal) rating of their product. The R rating discussion was somewhat of an eyeopener for me. I'm not sure it matters in our case because I'm going to use it similarly to what you did.

BTW, I going to install a surge protector soon but I'm considering using a portable model and mounting it on-board with plugs so that I can use it externally if I should so choose. I'll likely use the Progressive Industries 50 Amp model.

sundance
Im wasnt looking for insulation properties just something to reflect the sun away from the window whuch it does well

Not sure if i understand hiw you are going to use the portable surge. Use it inbetween two seperate cords???

If you do that you should jyst hard wire it. Depending on your cord it could be mounted in your storage bay

Jerry
Old 07-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Another mod finished this morning

Did the cheap handling fix (chf) to the front and rear sway bars. Took a little less than two hours from start to finish which includes getting the tools ready for the job and putting them away when done

For not being mechanically inclined my kind of proud of doing this mod. So easy even a caveman can do it

No pics right now i might take some a little later for those of you that dont know what the chf is
I am very interested in learning what you have done.

Ken
Old 07-30-2016, 02:17 AM   #12

THOR #3156
Quote:
Sundance
Sundance I believe your mh is diesel. If so the chf would not apply to you. Its for the Ford F-53 chassis.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-30-2016, 03:05 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I think I will check out that stuff at Lowes... Hate to tell you but the curtain liner stuff Thor uses is paper, it will disintegrate on its own within a year. I went to a fabric shop and bought real sun block curtain liner, then had a friend sew them on for me/ It makes a big difference. I also added heat film to the underside of the driver and pass areas and engine area to help keep the heat from engine heating up the cab
Old 07-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #14

THOR #3156
Added a two inch foam topper to the bed. Got it on amazon. Everything is coming together and almost have everything we need inside for a trip

Now i need the dw to get some time off work

FMCA # F464385
Old 07-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #15

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Added a two inch foam topper to the bed. Got it on amazon. Everything is coming together and almost have everything we need inside for a trip

Now i need the dw to get some time off work

That floor is really nice looking. I guessing it is vinyl, but it sure likes like some of the modern wood flooring.

Ken
Old 07-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #16

THOR #3156
Quote:
Hey Jerry, you are really fired up with this mod business. And yes I would like to see some pics of the "CHF" since I don't have a clue as to what it is

sundance
Sundance
Here's a pic of the front sway bar chf. You can see the bolt is in the inside hole. It comes from the factory in the outside hole.

FMCA # F464385
Old 07-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #17

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All,

Limited auto mechanic skills here, so...I think I have read/seen/been told that this fix does not apply to the Vegas/Axis E350 and E450 chassis. Correct?

I did the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and really like it. Just wondering if there is a next step for ease of steering .

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Limited auto mechanic skills here, so...I think I have read/seen/been told that this fix does not apply to the Vegas/Axis E350 and E450 chassis. Correct?
Correct: CHF is for F-53 chassis only.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #19

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

Thanks.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #20

THOR #3156
Glad I posted the pic for Sundance. When I looked at it I realized I put the washers in the wrong place. The washers are suppose to be on both sides of the blue bushing. I put one next to the bolt head by mistake. Quick fix now that I kind of know what I'm going. Took about 15 minutes to fix.

I'll post a new pic in a minute from my phone.

THANKS SUNDANCE!!!!!

Jerry
FMCA # F464385