Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #1

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Tennessee
THOR #847
alternator,generator issues

I have a 34ft Dutchman Motor Home the alternator is putting out 14.83 volts but when I remove the battery cable it dies and when I start the generator I can't get the AC units to work at the same time, I found a switch at the bed room and it controls the front or back units but not both at the same time. My generator puts out 8000 watts,is it big enough?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Welcome. Hopefully one of our members with generator knowledge will be also g soon to help you out.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #3

THOR #847
I'm apologizing for not giving better details on this issue. Back when I was in High school if we wanted to check our alternator we would remove the battery cable to see if the vehicle would stop running,and if it did this would tell me I had a bad alternator and in my situation my engine die's out but the alternator dose test as a good unit in fact it's putting out 14.81 volts, so I know I have something wrong. my generator is another issue,LOL
Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Siesta 24SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #762
As far as the generator goes. I recently traded a 2002 Allegro Bus on a 2008 Four Winds Siesta. The Bus had a 7500 Watt Onan Diesel. The coach had 2 14500 BTU heat pumps. The generator handled both of them on heat or cool without a problem. It had one thermostat with Zone 1 and Zone 2. You could run either or both on AC or Heat but not one on heat and the other cool.
As far as the alternator. Most new vehicles will not stay running on just the alternator.
Harry
Old 05-26-2014, 04:33 AM   #5

THOR #847

Thank you Harry, and I believe your correct on that, but I was told that If the vehicle was 2005 or better that would be the case as far as regular cars and trucks I don't know if that is the same for RV's? now I know that I need to plug my service cord to the outlet where the cord is stored when its not in use,is that the same for you?
Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Without knowing the sizes of the a/c units, it's hard to tell how much power they consume, but I'd venture to guess that a 8,000Watt genny should handle anything put into a motorhome. I mean you should be getting 50A out of a 8kw genny.

I am puzzled though that you describe having a switch to allow one or the other unit to be on? That is puzzling. I can see a reasoning for zones, but both units should be able to run at the same time.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #7

THOR #847

well it looks as if some one put the switch in the,the plate is an off white color but all threw the RV there dark brown. I also have 3 outlets not working.I have lots of work between the water leaks an mold I have plenty of work.thank you for your import.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #762
Both my old coach and new coach have ATS (Automatic Transfer Switches). I just have to unplug my coach from the pedestal in the park and coil it up. Then I can start the generator and it automatically takes over or when I come to a park site and plug in the shore power takes over.
Harry
Old 05-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #9

THOR #847

Hello folks,well I had been reminded that the fuse link wire could be my problem with the alternator.I had totally forgot about this wire I even went to school for this This is an example of what happens when you don't keep up.So I hope this will fix my problem will let the forum know in the next day or two.thanks