Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2023, 10:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #29410
Best way to store my Thor with basic lithium package

There doesn't seem to be any straightforward information about how to store an RV with Lithium batteries. I have a 2022 Thor Sequence with the basic 200ah lithium system. I've had it for a year and finally got my solar panel replaced which apparently was dead since I got it, but that's another story

Anyway, I just got done with a great 10 day trip to the San Juan Islands, now I am parking my RV for a couple months before I take it anywhere else. If I search for proper storage techniques, all I see are warnings about overcharging that don't apply to lithium, especially systems that trickle charge like mine. If I'm plugged in, or if during the day I'm unplugged but the solar is going it goes into "float charge" mode. What's my best bet? Should I let it drain a little overnight and let the solar keep it topped off during the day? Or is it better to just keep it plugged in 24/7? What I'm most curious about by far, why is this question so controversial? The only "answers" out there are about how not to overcharge your lead acid batteries, and how if you have lithium you should consult your nonexistent user manual for that. I'm not exaggerating. My Thor came with a user manual but only makes passing references to lithium batteries telling me to refer to Li-ion documentation. But, if I google for that, I only find very general information that assumes I can "take the battery out" like we're talking about a digital camera or something...

Old 06-04-2023, 11:27 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
There doesn't seem to be any straightforward information about how to store an RV with Lithium batteries. I have a 2022 Thor Sequence with the basic 200ah lithium system. I've had it for a year and finally got my solar panel replaced which apparently was dead since I got it, but that's another story

Anyway, I just got done with a great 10 day trip to the San Juan Islands, now I am parking my RV for a couple months before I take it anywhere else. If I search for proper storage techniques, all I see are warnings about overcharging that don't apply to lithium, especially systems that trickle charge like mine. If I'm plugged in, or if during the day I'm unplugged but the solar is going it goes into "float charge" mode. What's my best bet? Should I let it drain a little overnight and let the solar keep it topped off during the day? Or is it better to just keep it plugged in 24/7? What I'm most curious about by far, why is this question so controversial? The only "answers" out there are about how not to overcharge your lead acid batteries, and how if you have lithium you should consult your nonexistent user manual for that. I'm not exaggerating. My Thor came with a user manual but only makes passing references to lithium batteries telling me to refer to Li-ion documentation. But, if I google for that, I only find very general information that assumes I can "take the battery out" like we're talking about a digital camera or something...
"Li-ion documentation"? I don't believe you have Li-ion batteries, You have LiFePO4 batteries. You can't hardly hurt them with a BMS. You can either:

Completely disconnect them and they'll be fine
You can park it in the sun and let the solar keep them topped off and they'll be fine.
You can keep it plugged in and let the charger keep them topped off and they'll be fine.

Don't overthink it.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:28 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Presumably you have a Li battery setting on your solar controller and a Li battery setting on your converter/charger and both are set correctly. That being the case you should be fine for storing.

Winter storage is another matter as charging at below freezing can harm the batteries. If you have a BM in your batteries that has a low temp cutout you should be ok, such as the case with Battleborn batteries. If not, just disconnect the pos wires to the batteries to isolate them. They will then be fine in sub freezing conditions.

David
Old 06-05-2023, 03:32 AM   #4

State: Utah
THOR #29410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Presumably you have a Li battery setting on your solar controller and a Li battery setting on your converter/charger and both are set correctly. That being the case you should be fine for storing.

Winter storage is another matter as charging at below freezing can harm the batteries. If you have a BM in your batteries that has a low temp cutout you should be ok, such as the case with Battleborn batteries. If not, just disconnect the pos wires to the batteries to isolate them. They will then be fine in sub freezing conditions.

David
How do I know if I have a BM in my batteries? I'd like to assume it since this is a 2022 model, but perhaps this isn't universal quite yet....
Old 06-05-2023, 04:03 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Look at the brand of batteries and search online. Unless they're really cheap crap batteries, they should have an internal BMS.

I was fretting about my new 200Ah LiFePO4 batteries overcharging just sitting with solar panels charging them. I decided to leave them connected... today batteries were 100% showing only 1.5 amps feeding them from full sun.

If your solar controller is legit, it should be programmable so you can set the "cut off" voltage when batteries are full. Your battery should list the recommended settings in the specs.

As for winter storage, unless you live in the Arctic, the batteries should be fine PROVIDED they have a BMS... which will protect them from charging in below freezing temperatures.