Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
Posts: 1
THOR #13571
Dead House Batteries

Hi all

We are very pleased with Thor 22B bought in July, upgraded from a 17ft Hybrid. We are now ready to winterized it and found that the House Batteries are dead. Weíve had it plugged into the house power since the beginning of September. I checked the fuses and it was not tripped. I put a voltmeter on it and they register 1.44V each. Any ideas as to whatís wrong? Could it be the converter? I cycled the breaker for it On and Off. When I cycled it on, I heard some noise, like it was coming on, and then the noise stopped. Iím hoping thatís all it needed. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Khazdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
Posts: 918
THOR #2631
I am not familiar with your coach but typically most RVís do NOT automatically charge house or chassis (engine) batteries just by plugging into shore power (120VAC). Usually you need to turn on the use/store or separate coach/chassis battery switches located by the entrance door (typically) in order for the converter 12VDC side to start charging the batteries. This has been described many times in this forum. The best thing to verify all your batteries are charging is to plug into shore power (ensure it is working OK); turn on the use/store switch (as appropriate for your coach) and use your multimeter to measure voltage across the coach and chassis batteries in turn. If they are charging, you should see 13.1+ DC volts or higher. If you measured 1.4 volts across your coach batteries then they are flat....and hopefully not damaged because of it. If you donít see the 13.1+ DC volts across the batteries then some additional troubleshooting is required (converter issue, other DC breakers may be open on the 12VDC side of things; etc).
__________________

__________________
javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Dutchmen
State: Illinois
Posts: 23
THOR #13214
Batteries

I had a friend that worked for a major battery supplier. He said most batteries that people exchange for new,, ( core ) are really good batteries,, most of the old ones need to make sure full of water, and mainly need to be put on a very slow charger,, the slower the better,, a d they have a lot of life in them.. He said most folks charge them too fast.
__________________
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Storm 32V - pre
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,582
THOR #6826
Also, Iím convinced that most owners donít realize they need to check and likely add water every now and again. Most cars have come with maintenance free batteries for decades now and it just doesnít occur to folks to check their RV batteries. Doesnít help that access is not great on many coaches. My Freedom Elite needed water every 3 or 4 weeks if it was on shore power. Probably meant it was being overcharged but I never got around to checking that before I traded .
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
mountainsam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
Posts: 890
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
I had a friend that worked for a major battery supplier. He said most batteries that people exchange for new,, ( core ) are really good batteries,, most of the old ones need to make sure full of water, and mainly need to be put on a very slow charger,, the slower the better,, a d they have a lot of life in them.. He said most folks charge them too fast.
I had an Interstate battery go dead on our 5th wheel a few years ago. I took it to an Interstate distribution center. They charged it for two days very slowly and the battery turned out fine. I believe what your friend told you.
__________________
2017 Gemini 23TR Ford chassis w/ power stroke 3.2
DW, Daughter and 2 dogs, Sofie (black lab/boxer) and Phoebe (schnoodle)
mountainsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 119
THOR #12091
Like others have said you should check the water level and add distilled water if necessary. I have four batteries in my Coach and just recently added a quart of water to each one. Fill them until the water makes a dimple at the fill hole.
__________________
Dilley-Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Dutchmen
State: Illinois
Posts: 23
THOR #13214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I had an Interstate battery go dead on our 5th wheel a few years ago. I took it to an Interstate distribution center. They charged it for two days very slowly and the battery turned out fine. I believe what your friend told you.
Actually wasn't going to say it but he worked for interstate batteries.
__________________
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Cason61's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 628
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Also, Iím convinced that most owners donít realize they need to check and likely add water every now and again. Most cars have come with maintenance free batteries for decades now and it just doesnít occur to folks to check their RV batteries. Doesnít help that access is not great on many coaches. My Freedom Elite needed water every 3 or 4 weeks if it was on shore power. Probably meant it was being overcharged but I never got around to checking that before I traded .
Yeah, my trailer from years ago was maintenance free as have most of my vehicles since maybe 1975. So yeah, I learned this the hard way, but I got to learn about the color of the cables, why you should zip tie the cables together after you take them off one post at a time, Thor does send schematics, Coleman makes a very good maintenance stand, the battery tie down is a major PITA and those batteries are very heavy to move. Still got to buy those water tubes. Oh yeah, cleaning out the compartment with baking soda and water was another learning experience.
__________________

__________________
Cason61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×