Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1756
The Dreaded BIRD

Anyone here have issues with the BIRD - Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay by Inellitec? The real question is: has anyone found another part that does the same thing that might be better quality. Replacing this thing for the third time in 2 years is getting old. When it fails, my charging system stops charging the chassis batteries. I'm over it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-06 11.12.26.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	7082  

Old 09-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Are you sure it's not the Trombetta Relay? My relay failed on the way from the factory to AZ. It would clack closed by had a very high resistance that prevented charging.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since you mentioned "The Bird"

..And I've got no answer for you....
I might as well provide some on-topic musical entertainment!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Blue Sea Systems makes Automatic Charging Relays (ACR) for the marine environment:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...keywords=m-acr

I have one in my sailboat. It charges both ways.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy99 View Post
Are you sure it's not the Trombetta Relay? My relay failed on the way from the factory to AZ. It would clack closed by had a very high resistance that prevented charging.
Agree. I am on my 3rd Trombetta relay in past year. Very suseptible to failure, especially if you leave plugged into shore power.

Easy way to check is to check the voltage on the Purple wire on Bird relay while coach running for ~ 5minutes. if you have voltage then Bird is okay. Or while plugged into shore power - same thing. That is the lead that pulls in the Trombetta relay to connect the chassis and Coach batteries.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #6

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
If you poke around some you will find this White Rodgers solenoid that will replace the Trombetta and be better. It is a 15V coil and will handle the continuous coil voltage the Bird puts out. The Trombetta has well over 20 watts dissipation and it gradually (or quickly?) causes the contacts to fail. The White Rodgers is designed to operate at a higher voltage so much less power dissipation. It pulls in at a low voltage of (I forget) around 6-8 volts so it will pull in. I have been using it for 2 years now with no problems. Costs about the same as the troubled Trombetta plus it has the silver plated contacts. Mounts similar but is easily adapted to the Trombetta wiring. A way better choice.!

Solenoid, SPNO, 15 VDC Isolated Coil, Normally Open Continuous Contact Rating 200 Amps, Inrush 600 Amps
White Rodgers brand logo

$59.85 each
ADD TO CART
8 Fri, Sep 29

SKU
586-108111
Brand
White Rodgers
Old 09-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
If you poke around some you will find this White Rodgers solenoid that will replace the Trombetta and be better. It is a 15V coil and will handle the continuous coil voltage the Bird puts out. The Trombetta has well over 20 watts dissipation and it gradually (or quickly?) causes the contacts to fail. The White Rodgers is designed to operate at a higher voltage so much less power dissipation. It pulls in at a low voltage of (I forget) around 6-8 volts so it will pull in. I have been using it for 2 years now with no problems. Costs about the same as the troubled Trombetta plus it has the silver plated contacts. Mounts similar but is easily adapted to the Trombetta wiring. A way better choice.!

Solenoid, SPNO, 15 VDC Isolated Coil, Normally Open Continuous Contact Rating 200 Amps, Inrush 600 Amps
White Rodgers brand logo

$59.85 each
ADD TO CART
8 Fri, Sep 29

SKU
586-108111
Brand
White Rodgers
Good info. When this one fails I will try it out since my warranty is now up.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yeah, my relay also failed. I replaced with a similarly rated aircraft contractor, and coated it with the read battery terminal coating spray hoping it might shield some moisture from it....

I would really look closely at that relay, and the wiring. Maybe a bad connection, or something miswired, causing your controller to fail....
Old 09-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #9

THOR #1756
Yes, im sure. I tested it like Intellitec told me to & when I replace the BIRD it starts charging again.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

THOR #1756
Thanks for all your replies! I think I will go with the Magnum Smart Battery Combiner since I already have the Magnum inverter.

Smart Battery Combiner | Magnum Dimensions