Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Hurricane 34J Kitchen Sink Drain Pipe

OK. So my new 2019 Hurricane 34J. Used the kitchen sink for the first time. Water everywhere... So much for the dealer checking everything. Anyway - I looked behind the panel under the oven and the pipe was just laying there not connected. There is quite the mess of what looks like cut up bag to cover the wires/pipe that goes down out of the rig. This is the side with the slide. I reconnected it with PVC cement. I closed the slide slowly and noticed there pretty much is no room for the pipe with the existing setup that will not cause it to just break off again. I am baffled to how this design is remotely usable... Any ideas? Maybe someone could post a picture of theirs that is connected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180805_134911 (Medium).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	12048  
Attached Files

Old 08-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #2

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Same thing on our 17 ACE the first time we went to a KOA. Had to go under the slide and reach up through the cover in the slide and reconnect the drain. Later I put gorilla tape on it for a temporary fix. Four months later when the dealer could get to it they hopefully made a permanent fix, good so far. Seems a zip tie caught on something when the slide was extending. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

State: Indiana
THOR #14449
I would hope you have this fixed by now but new to the forum and didn't see a reply but the dealer I bought my 34j from knew of the issue and fixed it right. They went to Lowes and bought a swivel connection for drain pipes and put it on and it now moves with the slide as it goes in and out and appears to be a good fix. I do not have pictures but can take one when I get around our RV again if needed.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #4

State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Quote:
Originally Posted by abba3939 View Post
I would hope you have this fixed by now but new to the forum and didn't see a reply but the dealer I bought my 34j from knew of the issue and fixed it right. They went to Lowes and bought a swivel connection for drain pipes and put it on and it now moves with the slide as it goes in and out and appears to be a good fix. I do not have pictures but can take one when I get around our RV again if needed.
It is. Quite the debacle with the dealer. They ended up reengineering it a bit. they tried all the easy fixes but none of them worked without it breaking again. It has been a few months with a few trips and so far so good.

Major fail from Thor's side.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #5

THOR #14449
Glad you got it fixed.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:32 AM   #6

THOR #14500
I had the same problem with my motorhome. put in a swivel and no issues. I think anything but a swivel will end up breaking again. best to keep an eye on it. poor engineering.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Minnesota
THOR #9155
I have the 34J 2018 and had exactly the same thing happen. Had the big flood running out of the slide and into the lower compartments. When I opened the access under the oven there were peices of the plumbing just laying there.
CW did finally fix it. Removed the stiff grey tubing and replaced it with the black very flexable tubing off to the side of the insulation bag with all the other plumbing, electrical and video cables. There really is no excuse that this would ship from the factory in this condition. The picture shown is when the slide is extended.

Name:	20170922_135803.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	15777

Name:	20170922_135843.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	15778

Name:	20190219_142443.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	15779
Old 06-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #8

State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Same issue here. Waiting to hear back from the dealer before I tackle it on my own.

Both sides of this pipe were disconnected on mine and it was also leaking at the connection below the sink.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 AM   #9

State: Illinois
THOR #12548
This must be systemic to 34J’s as I have a 2019 one bought last year, and for the first trip of the year (back in April), mine broke as well. It broke at the 90• elbow going down into the grey tank. It was a rainy weekend, so nobody really noticed outside that there was a big puddle underneath our rig.

Had to take it back to the dealer to get a fix better than gorilla tape sorta staying on and keeping the water contained to falling around the gray tank instead of hitting the floor.

I would be very interested in seeing a pic and learning about what you mean regarding the “swivel connection”. I fear that this will likely break again, and if there’s a better engineered solution, I’d rather do that.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:26 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Minnesota
THOR #9155
In my pictures above I'm not sure if the parts laying in the middle picture are swivel parts or not.
The top picture shows the original grey tubing which was very stiff and just seemed to be the wrong material choice with the expected travel of the slide from open to closed.
The bottom picture shows the dealer solution. Move the tube outside the frost bag and the 90 degree fitting is fixed to the grey tank tube. (does not swivel) Changed the drain tube to a very flexible and soft material. So far so good. About a year of use.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #11

State: Utah
THOR #12383
Same issue on my 29M 2017 Windsport. I have fixed it twice using more of the same “poor” engineering. I finally took the shelving out from underneath the sink and we double check it after every time we slide it in or out. It is time to get creative. Any great ideas out there that I could try?
Old 10-08-2019, 01:30 AM   #12

Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
Well....We have a 2019 Windsport 29M that did the same thing. I do not think they have a fix for this yet. Mine broke off as the slide was extended sheering off the 90 degree pipe,. We did not know and the pipe got stuck preventing the slide to come back. Horrible design for sure. Not sure how to get the busted piece of pipe out of the gray water tank.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #13

Model: Windsport
State: Missouri
THOR #16182
ditto

Same problem on my 2019 29M....Made one 62 day service stay for repairs as directed by Thor....FAIL...headed for round two.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #14

State: Iowa
THOR #15642
I looked at my pipe and it appears that just the glue broke. I can still slip the hard PVC into the hole.

Seeing all the other zip ties, I did the same thing to this area. Put a cuff around the pipe and zip tied it down to the bolts at the opening.

Going to see if this holds the pipe down and lets it swivel. The pipe is a little too long and rubs the back wall, but other than that it might work.

Was about to replace it with flexible vacuum hose for a pool, but the seal isn't as tight. I can smell the water in the tank. Could get a gasket of some sort. However, going to see how this goes.