Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29 Fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #7532
inverter

Currently my inverter is locate under the bed, how hard would it be to move it from that location to one of the compartment below, and also would changing from a xantera pro 1000 to a pure sine 2000 watt hurt or help,

Old 12-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Hurt or help what?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Edk

Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danford50 View Post
Currently my inverter is locate under the bed, how hard would it be to move it from that location to one of the compartment below, and also would changing from a xantera pro 1000 to a pure sine 2000 watt hurt or help,
We changed out ours to a combo inverter charger, in the super c, put it as close to the batteries as you can. But not in the same compartment. It helped with powering the residential fridge better.
Ejk
Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Shorter 12v lines from battery to inverter is goodness - especially as you get to higher currents... How easy to do depends on your rig...

Swapping out a 1000W inverter to a 2000W - if you are actually going to USE that additional wattage - can add substantial draw to batteries...
1000W inverter fully loaded will draw about 80 amps from 12v source (W/V=A)... Going to 2000W load will double that.
Wire used and distance for 12v connection, battery capacity and recharge capability are issues to consider...

Sine wave inverters better for sensitive electronics.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Using 2000 watts will surprise you as to how quickly the batteries are depleted. As far as going to sine wave, that's a yes if you are running any medical devices, and if you run your TV's off the inverter, you may see noise, or lines on the screen. Sine wave should clean that up. I had a 2000 watt inverter in my former DP, never really used it to capacity, and I had 4 six volt batteries f. or the house batteries. When I added the inverter to the Gemini, ( 2 twelve volt house batteries) I had them put an 1800 watt, again don't use it to capacity, but do use it. Mine is not sine wave, for what I use it for, its fine. When I change house batteries, I will change to a pair of six volt deep cycle connected in series. Right now the two twelve volt batteries are adequate for my use.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Battery cables to a 1,000-watt inverter that has a 2,000-watt surge (Xantrex Pro) should be sized to just over 200 Amps or it will trip on low voltage sooner than it should. A 2,000-watt inverter (most have at least 4,000-watt surge rating) will need cables that can handle ~ 400 Amps without too much voltage drop. Based on these high numbers your idea to move the inverter closer to batteries is a good one.

Pure sine is better than modified sine wave as mentioned by GMC above, provided budget can handle extra cost. My small MSW inverter won't run some things like the A/C fan without a buzz, so I don't do it. Now that pure sine have gotten more affordable, I may upgrade.

Other than higher cost, about the only downside I can think of to having a larger inverter is that inverters generally run less efficient at very low loads. It's possible that if running low-power loads (say 100 watts for TV and audio) that a 2,000-watt inverter may be less efficient than a 1,000-watt unit. Efficiency curves I've seen vary considerably, so I wouldn't let that stop me from going to a larger inverter (within reason).
Old 12-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
When I was working on my inverter project, Chance and GMC helped me out tremendously.

I used American Wire Gauge to determine the size cable for my project.

Watch this video, it is very informative:

Old 12-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
THOR #7078
noise/heat

Hope everyone is staying warm,

Don't see too many posts on issues and concerns with the Thor Tuscany 40AX xte.

I keep hearing thumping noise or knocks around the right side of my coach where the inverter is, it is a Magnum, I was told that Thor no longer uses the Magnum Inverter and has switched.

Does anyone else experience strange noise?

Also, when the furnace comes on, the theater seating cup holders get rather hot, anyone else experience that as well? if so, what is the solution

Thanks

Suzzanne
2016 Thor Tuscany 40AX xte